Largely regarded as the last great Mayan capital of the Yucatan peninsula and inhabited until the Late Post-Classic period, the ancient city of Mayapan has long fascinated archaeologists, as well as becoming a popular tourist attraction. The city was allegedly founded by Toltec King Kukulcan after the fall of Chichen Itza and today its remains include more than 4,000 structures, spread over a 4.2-square-kilometer plot and surrounded by an imposing stone perimeter wall.
The star attraction of Mayapan is the towering Temple of Kukulcan, a terraced pyramid similar to the one found at Chichen Itza, around which are dozens of temples, altars, shrines and residences, many adorned with colorful murals and well-preserved stuccos.
Tours and tickets to Experience Mayapan
Should I book Mayapan tickets in advance?
How much does it cost to visit Mayapan 2021?
What's the best way to experience Mayapan?
- Half-Day Tour to Undiscovered Mayapan & Telchaquillo
- Acanceh, Mayapan, y Cenote Mysterious Places in Yucatán
- Private Northern Yucatan Route
- Mayapan, Cenotes and Izamal
Things to do near Merida
- Things to do in Riviera Maya & the Yucatan
- Things to do in Tulum
- Things to do in Isla Holbox
- Things to do in Playa del Carmen
- Things to do in Cozumel
- Things to do in Cancun
- Things to do in Ambergris Caye
- Things to do in Belize City
- Things to do in San Ignacio
- Things to do in Hopkins
- Things to do in Placencia
- Things to do in San Pedro Sula
- Things to do in Quetzaltenango
- Things to do in The Cayes
- Things to do in Petén