Museum of Modern Art (Museo de Arte Moderno)
Known locally as MAM, the Museum of Modern Art is most often visited independently by travelers exploring Chapultepec Park, although guided visits of the exhibits can be arranged in advance. Some art themed tours of the capital may also include a stop at the MAM, while convenient private excursions can be customized to include one. Highlights of the permanent exhibitions include works by Juan O’Gorman, María Izquierdo, Leonora Carrington, Francisco Toledo, and more.
Things to Know Before You Go
There are a couple of different entrances to the museum.
There’s an on-site library, gift shop, book store, and café at the MAM.
All visitors enter for free on Sundays; otherwise, there’s a small admission fee.
Book in advance if you want a guided tour of the museum.
Don’t miss the surrounding gardens, home to a number of sculptures and installations.
The Museum of Modern Art is wheelchair and stroller accessible.
How to Get There
Easy to access by public and private transportation, the Museum of Modern Art is located in Chapultepec Park. Those arriving by car can park along Paseo de la Reforma for a small fee, while the closest metro stations are Chapultepec and Sevilla (both Line 1), as well as Auditorio (Line 7). Each one is a roughly 20- to 30-minute walk away.
When to Get There
The MAM is open Tuesday through Sunday and is always closed on Mondays, like most Mexico City museums. You can expect to find the museum open between the mid-morning and the late afternoon, with larger than usual crowds on weekends. Sundays particularly are busy, as the museum offers free entry for all.
Art in Mexico City
Although the Museum of Modern Art includes a wealth of well-known Mexican artists, you can enjoy more contemporary pieces at the Museo Jumex, Soumaya, and MUAC too. For Frida-specific pieces, the Blue House Museum is a must, while Diego’s style can be admired in the Anahuacalli Museum—typically, tours and tickets to one include complimentary entrance to the other.
- Things to do in Central Mexico
- Things to do in Taxco
- Things to do in Acapulco
- Things to do in Puerto Escondido
- Things to do in Puerto Vallarta
- Things to do in Monterrey
- Things to do in South Padre Island
- Things to do in San Pedro La Laguna
- Things to do in Panajachel
- Things to do in Guerrero
- Things to do in Oaxaca
- Things to do in Jalisco
- Things to do in Western Highlands
- Mexico City Museum of Modern Art (Museo de Arte Moderno)
- Tamayo Museum (Museo Tamayo)
- Chapultepec Castle (Castillo de Chapultepec)
- National Museum of Anthropology (Museo Nacional de Antropología)
- Angel of Independence (Monumento a la Independencia)
- Centro Historico
- La Condesa
- Chapultepec Park (Bosque de Chapultepec)
- La Feria Chapultepec
- Reforma 222
- Papalote Children's Museum (Papalote Museo del Niño)
- Mexico City Wax Museum (Museo de Cera Ciudad de Mexico)
- Ripley's Believe It or Not! Mexico