Bavarian State Opera (Bayerische Staatsoper)
The Bavarian State Opera is one of the world’s leading opera houses, with over 400 performances and 600,000 visitors yearly. Its history spans over three centuries and helped shape Munich as we know it today, a culture-savvy metropolis with unparalleled elegance and flair. Thanks to a controversial yet deep friendship with King Ludwig II, Richard Wagner himself premiered many of his music dramas (including The Valkyrie, The Master-Singers of Nuremberg, The Fairies, The Rhinegold, and Tristan and Isolde) at the Bavarian State Opera, which at the time – and arguably still is to this day – was considered the limelight of music in Europe. Nowadays, over 30 different operas, recitals, ballets, and concerts are staged every season in the splendid original Rococo Cuvilliés-Theater, the largest of its kind in Germany and perhaps the most spectacular in all of Europe. This is also where the Munich Opera Festival, the most important and acclaimed opera festival in the world, takes places.
Bavarian State Opera (Bayerische Staatsoper) Tours
Should I book Bavarian State Opera (Bayerische Staatsoper) tickets in advance?
How much does it cost to visit Bavarian State Opera (Bayerische Staatsoper) 2021?
What's the best way to experience Bavarian State Opera (Bayerische Staatsoper)?
- Munich Bike Tour with optional Königsplatz and Olympia Park
- Munich City Hop-on Hop-off Tour
- Segway tour Munich Beer Stories (3h)
- Withlocals Highlights & Hidden Gems: Best of Munich Tour with a Local
Things to do near Munich
- Things to do in Bavaria
- Things to do in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
- Things to do in Innsbruck
- Things to do in Salzburg
- Things to do in Passau
- Things to do in Hallstatt
- Things to do in Davos
- Things to do in Linz
- Things to do in Cesky Krumlov
- Things to do in Zurich
- Things to do in Lucerne
- Things to do in Strasbourg
- Things to do in Prague
- Things to do in Austrian Alps
- Things to do in Upper Austria