Munich Residence (Residenz München)
Munich Residence is divided into three main parts: Königsbau, the Alte Residenz, and the Festsaalbau (which is also home to the Cuvillies Theatre). Catch a glimpse of palace life by exploring the residence’s gardens and visiting the Treasury (Schatzkammer) to see a display of royal jewels, gold objects, and ivory. This complex of buildings is a popular stop for Munich city tours including walking tours, bike tours, and Segway tours.
Things to know before you go
- Munich Residence is a must-see attraction for travelers interested in art and antiquities or families seeking educational experiences.
- Photography is permitted throughout, but only without flash and tripod.
- Free stroller rentals are available at the museum.
- The museum has many steps and staircases; wheelchair access is possible, but supervisory staff must accompany wheelchair users on separate routes.
- Free audio guides are available in several languages.
How to get there
Munich Residence is located at Residenzstrasse 1a in the center of the city. It is easily reached via public transportation; take the S-Bahn to Marienplatz, the U-Bahn to Marienplatz or Odeonsplatz, or the tram to Nationtheater. The residence does not offer on-site parking for visitors.
When to get there
Open daily throughout the year, Munich Residence offers slightly reduced hours during the winter months from October through March. Last entry is available one hour before closing time. For the most peaceful experience, visit first thing in the morning on a weekday. The busiest time of year in Munich is during Oktoberfest from late September into early October; visit for the festivities or choose another time of year to avoid the crowds.
For good luck and wealth, follow local folklore and rub the noses of the giant bronze lions guarding the entrance to the palace on Residenzstrasse.
- Bavarian State Opera (Bayerische Staatsoper)
- Field Marshals' Hall (Feldherrnhalle)
- Hard Rock Cafe Munich
- Cathedral of Our Blessed Lady (Frauenkirche)
- Munich Toy Museum (Spielzeugmuseum)
- Munich Old Town Hall (Altes Rathaus)
- St. Peter's Church (Peterskirche)
- Beer and Oktoberfest Museum
- Victuals Market (Viktualienmarkt)
- House of the Arts (Haus der Kunst)
- Eisbach Wave (Eisbachwelle)