New Pinakothek (Neue Pinakothek)
The exterior of Neue Pinakothek—a gloomy postmodern mish-mash which has aged poorly—is the least impressive of the three museums bearing the Pinakothek tag, but once inside all is forgiven. The Munich hop-on hop-off sightseeing bus stops at the museum, and many guided day trips from Frankfurt come here. For a deep dive into the art collection, consider taking a private art and history tour of Munich.
Things to know before you go
- The Neue Pinakothek is a must-see for art lovers.
- The museum houses a restaurant serving lunch and dinner.
- All three Pinakothek museums are accessible to wheelchairs.
How to get there
The Neue Pinakothek lies to the north of Munich’s old town and can be easily reached on foot; otherwise, the Theresienstraße underground station serves the ensemble of art institutions of which the Neue Pinakothek is part.
When to get there
The museum is open every day except Tuesday and has extended hours on Wednesday evenings. It’s a great spot to visit on a rainy day.
Alte Pinakothek and Pinakothek Der Moderne
The other two Pinakothek museums house collections that easily live up to the Neue Pinakothek. The Alte Pinakothek showcases works from the fourteenth to eighteenth centuries, while the Pinakothek Der Moderne comprises four smaller museums dedicated to art, works on paper, design, and architecture.
- Things to do in Bavaria
- Things to do in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
- Things to do in Innsbruck
- Things to do in Salzburg
- Things to do in Passau
- Things to do in Nuremberg
- Things to do in Hallstatt
- Things to do in Davos
- Things to do in Linz
- Things to do in Cesky Krumlov
- Things to do in Zurich
- Things to do in Lucerne
- Things to do in Strasbourg
- Things to do in Austrian Alps
- Things to do in Upper Austria
- Old Pinakothek (Alte Pinakothek)
- Field Marshals' Hall (Feldherrnhalle)
- King's Square (Königsplatz)
- Munich Residence (Residenz München)
- Bavarian State Opera (Bayerische Staatsoper)
- Cathedral of Our Blessed Lady (Frauenkirche)
- House of the Arts (Haus der Kunst)
- Hard Rock Cafe Munich
- Munich Toy Museum (Spielzeugmuseum)
- Munich Old Town Hall (Altes Rathaus)
- Eisbach Wave (Eisbachwelle)