Ride the high-speed elevator to the top floor of the Olympic Tower at 623 feet (190 meters), from where the views span the city center. On a clear day, it’s possible to see the distant Alps, all the way from Salzkammergut to the Allgäu. One floor down, Restaurant 81 is an atmospheric spot for a lunch or dinner date, affording 360-degree panoramic views from its revolving restaurant floor. While at the top of the tower, be sure to check out the small rock ‘n’ roll museum, which holds the title of ‘Europe’s highest rock museum’ and is crammed with music memorabilia, instruments, and stage costumes.
Things to Know Before You Go
- There is an admission fee which includes museum entrance; children under six are free.
- Reservations are recommended for the tower’s restaurant. There is also a restaurant near the base of the tower and other options for eating within the Olympic Park.
- The Olympic Tower is accessible for wheelchairs and strollers.
How to Get There
The Olympic Tower is located in Munich’s Olympic Park, about 4.5 miles (seven kilometers) north of downtown Munich. The closest U-Bahn station is Olympiazentrum (line U3), from where it’s an about 10-minute walk through the Olympic Park to reach the tower. Parking is available on site.
When to Get There
The tower is open daily from 9am to midnight, with last entry at 11.30pm. Visit on a clear day for the best views, time your arrival to watch the sunset, or come after dark to admire the illuminated city skyline from above.
Munich’s Olympic Park and Around It’s worth combining a visit to the Olympic Tower with a stroll around the Olympic Park, a huge landscaped park with lakes, walking and cycling paths, and various sporting venues. Time your visit for the annual Tollwood Festival, attend one of the summer open-air concerts in the park, or hire a paddle boat on the Olympic Lake. Also at the park is SEA LIFE® Munich, a popular family attraction where you can spot sharks, sea turtles, and tropical fish. At the north end of the park is the BMW Museum, where motor enthusiasts can marvel over everything from vintage Rolls-Royces to classic MINIs.
- Things to do in Bavaria
- Things to do in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
- Things to do in Innsbruck
- Things to do in Salzburg
- Things to do in Passau
- Things to do in Hallstatt
- Things to do in Davos
- Things to do in Linz
- Things to do in Cesky Krumlov
- Things to do in Zurich
- Things to do in Lucerne
- Things to do in Strasbourg
- Things to do in Prague
- Things to do in Austrian Alps
- Things to do in Upper Austria