Read MoreShow Less
Located at the base of Mount Saint Helena in Napa Valley, Calistoga is known for its laid-back charm, natural hot springs, and volcanic-ash mud baths. In addition to numerous spa resorts, Calistoga also offers proximity to world-class wineries and plentiful restaurants, boutiques, and art galleries.
Enjoy a rejuvenating soak, sauna, massage, or mud bath at one of the many spa resorts in Calistoga, then sample wines from popular and award-winning wineries, including Castello di Amorosa and Chateau Montelena. More-active visitors will enjoy hiking the many trails in Bothe–Napa Valley State Park or Robert Louis Stevenson State Park, or cycling nearby trails such as the Oat Hill Mine Trail or the Silverado Trail.
It’s possible to join a guided tour combining an off-the-beaten-path bicycle trip around Calistoga with wine tasting at several area wineries. Both the Napa Valley Wine Trolley and the Napa Valley Wine Train stop at nearby vineyards. Private and small-group Napa Valley wine tours, which stop at a number of recommended or self-selected wineries, are available.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Calistoga is ideal for spa lovers, wine aficionados, and outdoor enthusiasts.
- Hot springs and mud baths may not be suitable for those with health issues or skin or smell sensitivities.
- Wear comfortable shoes, and bring sun protection and water if planning to engage in outdoor activities.
- Many of the wineries near Calistoga are wheelchair-accessible, but it's best to check ahead to avoid disappointment.
How to Get There
Calistoga is located at the north end of Napa Valley, about 26 miles (42 kilometers) from the town of Napa and 70 miles (113 kilometers) from San Francisco. It’s easiest to drive to Calistoga, though both the Napa Valley Wine Trolley and the Napa Valley Wine Train stop nearby. The closest airport is Sonoma County Airport in Santa Rosa.
When to Get There
Calistoga can be visited year-round, depending on the activity. Many of the hot springs are outdoors, which may be more pleasant in spring and fall when the temperatures dip. Different wineries will have different operating hours.
Old Faithful Geyser of California
Just outside of Calistoga is the Old Faithful Geyser of California. One of only three faithful geysers around the world, it shoots a stream of heated water 60 to 100 feet (18 to 30 meters) into the air every 10 to 40 minutes. In addition to the geyser, the site has a visitor center and attractions including a geology museum, bocce courts, and a small zoo.
Address: 1006 Washington Street, Calistoga 94515, USA
0 Tours and Activities to Experience Calistoga
No results found!
Things to do near Napa & Sonoma
- Things to do in California
- Things to do in Santa Rosa
- Things to do in Sausalito
- Things to do in San Francisco
- Things to do in Yosemite National Park
- Things to do in Paso Robles
- Things to do in San Luis Obispo
- Things to do in Pismo Beach
- Things to do in Santa Barbara
- Things to do in Santa Monica
- Things to do in Los Angeles
- Things to do in Long Beach
- Things to do in Las Vegas
- Things to do in Nevada
- Things to do in Oregon