Opened in the late 18th century to house Charles III of Bourbon’s private collection, the National Archaeological Museum holds one of the one of the world’s finest collections of Greek and Roman artifacts in the world, with highlights including the Farnese Bull and Hercules sculptures, mosaics from the House of the Faun, frescoes from Villa di Agrippa Postumus and Casa di Meleagro, and bronzes from Villa dei Papiri—all recovered in Pompeii.
The National Archaeological Museum is one of the most popular attractions in Naples. To avoid a long wait to enter, book a museum tour with skip-the-line tickets. Many Naples walking or hop-on-hop-off tours include a stop at the museum, as do full-day shore excursions. For a deep dive into this important collection, consider a private tour with an archaeologist guide.
Things to Know Before You Go
A visit to the museum is a must for archaeology buffs, and especially interesting for those with plans to visit Pompeii and Herculaneum, where many of the museum’s artifacts were recovered.
The National Archaeological Museum is completely wheelchair accessible.
Large bags, backpacks, and umbrellas must be left at baggage check at the entrance.
The museum houses a small bookshop and cafe.
Photography without flash is allowed in the museum.
How to Get There
The National Archaeological Museum is located in the center of Naples, easily accessible by metro lines 1 and 2 from across the city.
When to Get There
This popular museum can be crowded on the weekends, so is best visited on a weekday. The museum is closed on Tuesdays.
Racy History The Gabinetto Segreto
The museum’s Gabinetto Segreto (or Secret Chamber) contains a small collection of ancient erotica recovered from Pompeii and elsewhere, and has a long history of limited access and censorship; even today, visitors under 14 must be accompanied by an adult. The collection includes erotic statues, paintings, and mosaics.
- Naples Underground (Napoli Sotterranea)
- Sansevero Chapel (Museo Cappella Sansevero)
- Basilica di San Lorenzo Maggiore
- Basilica of San Domenico Maggiore (Basilica di San Domenico Maggiore)
- Naples Historic Center (Napoli Centro Storico)
- Piazza del Gesù Nuovo
- Gesú Nuovo Church (Chiesa del Gesù Nuovo)
- Naples Cathedral (Duomo di San Gennaro)
- Via San Gregorio Armeno (Christmas Alley)
- Catacombs of San Gaudioso (Catacombe di San Gaudioso)
- Centro Storico
- Pio Monte della Misericordia
- Church and Monastery of Santa Chiara (Chiesa e Monastero di Santa Chiara)
- Via Toledo
- Church of Sant'Anna dei Lombardi (Chiesa di Sant'Anna dei Lombardi)
- Naples and Pizza
- Pompeii Tours from Naples
- Amalfi Coast from Naples
- Nightlife in Naples
- Caravaggio Art in Naples
- Top Day Trips from Naples
- Ways to Beat the Crowds in Naples
- How to Spend a Rainy Day in Naples
- Where to Find the Best Views in Naples
- Art Lover's Guide to Naples
- Sightseeing on a Budget in Naples
- Must-See Museums in Naples