Royal Palace of Naples (Palazzo Reale)
Palace highlights include the Court Theater (Teatrino di Corte) designed by Ferdinando Fuga, the Throne Room, the Hall of Hercules ballroom, and the Royal Chapel (Cappella Reale), home to a monumental 18th-century nativity scene.
The palace is one of the most important historical tourist destinations in central Naples, so it is important to book your Royal Palace of Naples entrance ticket in advance to avoid having to wait in a long line to enter. You can also join a Naples city walking tour or sightseeing tour by Segway or bike that includes visits to the Palazzo Reale, the nearby Teatro di San Carlo, and Castel Nuovo.
Things to Know Before You Go
The palace interiors and courtyard are open daily from 9am to 7pm, with the exception of Wednesdays and holidays.
The palace and courtyard are wheelchair- and stroller-accessible via an internal elevator.
There are free storage lockers for small personal belongings, but no luggage storage.
How to Get There
This sumptuous royal residence is located on the central Piazza del Plebiscito, Naples’ largest square. Take the ANM R2 bus to the Via San Carlo station, or the metro line 1 to Toledo, a 15-minute walk away. Naples is the capital city of Campania, so easy to reach by train and ferry for a day trip from Rome, the Amalfi Coast, Sorrento, and Pompeii.
When to Get There
The Royal Palace is one of the most important monuments in Naples, and best visited in the early morning or late afternoon to avoid midday crowds. Entrance is free the first Sunday of the month, so the palace can also be very crowded then.
The Biblioteca Nazionale
The Royal Palace is also home to the National Library, which contains thousands of papyrus scrolls found at Herculaneum as well as the remains of a fifth-century Coptic bible.
- Piazza del Plebiscito
- Piazza Trieste e Trento
- Basilica of San Francesco di Paola (Basilica di San Francesco di Paola)
- San Carlo Opera House (Teatro di San Carlo)
- Galleria Umberto I
- Castel Nuovo (Maschio Angioino)
- Bourbon Tunnel (Galleria Borbonica)
- Saint Lucia Neighborhood (Quartiere Santa Lucia)
- Naples Cruise Port (Terminal Crociere di Napoli)
- Spanish Quarter (Quartieri Spagnoli)
- Church of Sant'Anna dei Lombardi (Chiesa di Sant'Anna dei Lombardi)
- Via Toledo
- Charterhouse and Museum of San Martino (Certosa e Museo di San Martino)
- Saint Elmo’s Castle (Castel Sant'Elmo)
- Naples and Pizza
- Pompeii Tours from Naples
- Amalfi Coast from Naples
- Nightlife in Naples
- Caravaggio Art in Naples
- Top Day Trips from Naples
- Ways to Beat the Crowds in Naples
- How to Spend a Rainy Day in Naples
- Where to Find the Best Views in Naples
- Art Lover's Guide to Naples
- Sightseeing on a Budget in Naples
- Must-See Museums in Naples