Saint Lucia Neighborhood (Quartiere Santa Lucia)
Once modest fishing hamlets, today Santa Lucia and Borgo Marinari—set on the islet of Megaride and attached to the mainland by a narrow causeway—are home to more yachts than fishing boats. With views across the bay from Via Mazzuro Sauro and Via Partenope, fin-de-siècle architecture lining the waterfront, and charming fish and seafood eateries clustered at the base of Castel dell’Ovo, this neighborhood is a popular place for an evening passeggiata and romantic meal. Join a hop-on-hop-off bus tour or Segway tour of Naples to explore this refined corner of the city or take in the sunset from the promenade and enjoy dinner featuring the catch of the day after touring the city’s warren of lanes in the historic center and Quartiere Spagnoli. Naples is famous for its culinary culture and some food tours in the city center also include a stop at the seafood restaurants in Borgo Marinari.
Things to know before you go
- Some of the best views over the Bay of Naples can be captured from the waterfront promenade in Santa Lucia; a stop here is a must for photography enthusiasts.
- Tours of Naples’ neighborhoods require a significant amount of time outdoors, so sunscreen and a hat in summer are recommended.
- Wear comfortable shoes to stroll the pedestrian-only waterfront promenades and Borgo Marinari.
- Castel dell’Ovo is only partially wheelchair accessible, but the waterfront walkways and Borgo Marinari are easy to navigate on wheels.
How to get there
Quartiere Santa Lucia is located along the coastline in the historic center of Naples just south of Piazza del Plebiscito; there is no metro stop in the neighborhood, so walk from the southern reaches of the historic center or take a taxi from other locations around the city.
When to get there
Santa Lucia comes to life in the later hours of the day, when the waterfront promenade is crowded with evening walkers and joggers and the restaurants in Borgo Marinari fill with locals and tourists enjoying fresh fish and seafood.
By far the most famous monument in Quartiere Santa Lucia is Castel dell’Ovo, the imposing 15th-century fortress towering over Borgo Marinari on the island of Megaride and one of the symbols of Naples. Home to the city’s Museum of Ethno-Prehistory, the castle is known for its sweeping views over the Bay of Naples and Mount Vesuvius from its ramparts.
- Basilica of San Francesco di Paola (Basilica di San Francesco di Paola)
- San Carlo Opera House (Teatro di San Carlo)
- Piazza del Plebiscito
- Castel dell'Ovo
- Royal Palace of Naples (Palazzo Reale)
- Piazza Trieste e Trento
- Bourbon Tunnel (Galleria Borbonica)
- Galleria Umberto I
- Castel Nuovo (Maschio Angioino)
- Naples Cruise Port (Terminal Crociere di Napoli)
- Spanish Quarter (Quartieri Spagnoli)
- Church of Sant'Anna dei Lombardi (Chiesa di Sant'Anna dei Lombardi)
- Bay of Naples (Golfo di Napoli)
- Via Toledo
- Naples and Pizza
- Pompeii Tours from Naples
- Amalfi Coast from Naples
- Nightlife in Naples
- Caravaggio Art in Naples
- Top Day Trips from Naples
- Ways to Beat the Crowds in Naples
- How to Spend a Rainy Day in Naples
- Where to Find the Best Views in Naples
- Art Lover's Guide to Naples
- Sightseeing on a Budget in Naples
- Must-See Museums in Naples