Penang Armenian Street (Lebuh Armenian)
Armenian Street is home to the Cheah Kongsi and Yap Kongsi clan houses, as well as the Hock Teik Cheng Sin Temple. However, most travelers come for the shopping—mainly souvenirs, furniture, and antiques—and the food. Many Penang food tours swing by here, particularly at night when the lanterns are lit up. Explore in one of Penang’s popular trishaws (3-wheeled rickshaws), board a Vespa with your own chauffeur, or jump aboard a hop-on hop-off bus for a self-guided visit.
Things to know before you go
- Although Armenian Street is known for its food, there are no Armenian restaurants—and no evidence Armenians ever lived here.
- Exercise caution when buying antiques in Penang. Products are not always as old as they seem.
- Most kids will love the colorful trishaws and street art on Armenian Street. Back carriers or slings are a better choice than strollers for folk traveling with little ones.
- High curbs and narrow, crowded sidewalks mean travelers who use wheelchairs will likely find themselves rolling along the road.
How to get there
Lebuh Armenian runs roughly parallel to Lebuh Acheh, linking to it at the north end, in the heritage district of George Town, Penang. It’s about a 0.5-mile (800-meter) walk east of the city’s main Komtar Bus Terminal.
When to get there
Early evening is a good time to visit Lebuh Armenian. The street stalls are in action and the light for photography is good.
Penang’s Top Foodie Experiences
Many Penang food tours swing by Lebuh Armenian. But here are a few other quintessential Penang food experiences you might want to try: eat at a hawker center; discover “Nyonya” cuisine at a Peranakan restaurant; tour a fruit orchard or visit a spice garden; shop for roots and herbs in a local wet market; or pose for foodie selfies with outsized plates of your favorites at the Wonderfood Museum.
- Upside Down Museum
- Little India
- Khoo Kongsi (Leong San Tong Khoo Kongsi Clan House & Museum)
- Penang House of Music
- Asia Camera Museum Penang
- Cheong Fatt Tze Mansion (Blue Mansion)
- Wonderfood Museum Penang
- Penang State Museum and Art Gallery
- Pinang Peranakan Mansion
- Penang Tunnel Museum (Penang Time Tunnel)
- Made in Penang Interactive Museum
- Fort Cornwallis
- Chayamangkalaram Buddhist Temple (Wat Chayamangkalaram)
- Penang Botanical Gardens (Taman Botani Penang)