Khoo Kongsi (Leong San Tong Khoo Kongsi Clan House & Museum)
Explore the Khoo Kongsi (Leong San Tong Khoo Kongsi Clan House & Museum) independently or as part of a comprehensive Penang sightseeing tour, on which the landmark is a common feature. Tours provide a great introduction to the cultural diversity of Penang and typically transport you around the UNESCO World Heritage Site of George Town (Penang Georgetown), home to Little India, Fort Cornwallis, and the Clan Jetties.
For an all-round experience, combine cultural sights such as the clan houses with Penang’s famous culinary offerings on a food tour.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Khoo Kongsi is a must visit for travelers interested in the clan history of Penang and wider Malaysia.
- The clan house charges a small admission fee for adults and children; children under five years old can enter free of charge.
- Due to the historic nature of the house, narrow passages and stairways make it inaccessible for travelers with wheelchairs and strollers.
How to Get There
Khoo Kongsi is located in George Town, the historic center of Penang. From Penang Times Square, the clan house is either a 20-minute walk or a 15-minute ride on the number 200 bus. For maximum convenience, visit the house as part of a sightseeing tour that includes round-trip transfers.
When to Get There
The clan house is open daily between 9am and 5pm, including Sundays and public holidays. Khoo Kongsi serves as a backdrop to many of Penang’s Chinese New Year celebrations, which typically takes place throughout the months of January and February.
Clan Jetties of Penang
Part of the Penang Heritage Trail, the Clan Jetties of Penang are billed as one of the last bastions of Chinese clans on the island of Penang. Traditional stilt-houses line jetties that stretch far into the water—the Chew Jetty is the most accessible jetty and is home to a temple dedicated to a tree and plenty of souvenir stands.
- Penang Armenian Street (Lebuh Armenian)
- Upside Down Museum
- Wonderfood Museum Penang
- Little India
- Pinang Peranakan Mansion
- Asia Camera Museum Penang
- Penang House of Music
- Penang State Museum and Art Gallery
- Made in Penang Interactive Museum
- Cheong Fatt Tze Mansion (Blue Mansion)
- Penang Tunnel Museum (Penang Time Tunnel)
- Fort Cornwallis
- Chayamangkalaram Buddhist Temple (Wat Chayamangkalaram)
- Penang Botanical Gardens (Taman Botani Penang)