Fairmount Park Tours
Read MoreShow Less
The largest park in Philadelphia—and one of the biggest swaths of urban green space in the country—Fairmount Park is also home to public artworks, museums, and historic highlights. With east and west sections divided by the Schuylkill River, Fairmount Park stretches across 2,052 acres (830 hectares).
Fairmount Park, the city's first public park, dates back to the country’s founding. It occupies land originally owned by Robert Morris, a signer of the Declaration of Independence. Today, walkers, cyclists, and others looking for fresh air retreat to Fairmount Park. The park is divided by the Schuylkill River and includes the Philadelphia Museum of Art, Philadelphia Zoo, Please Touch Museum, and Boathouse Row. It's also home to historical mansions, woodlands and gardens.
Given its proximity to many top Philadelphia attractions, Fairmount Park figures prominently on many sightseeing tours. It's also accessible via most hop-on hop-off bus tours.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Fairmount Park offers numerous trails for walking, cycling, and other activities; off-road-biking and horseback-riding trails require a permit.
- East and West Fairmount Park are host to numerous playgrounds, picnic sites, gardens, and other family-friendly destinations.
- The park hosts two outdoor music venues: the Mann Center and the Dell Music Center.
- Among Fairmount Park's many public artworks, look out for sculptures by Robert Morris, Carl Milles, Augustus Saint-Gaudens, and Alexander Milne Calder.
- Restaurants and cafes are located in the park, including the Trolley House Cafe and Waterworks Restaurant & Lounge.
- The Schuylkill River Trail, whose Fairmount Park section is approximately 10 miles (16 kilometers) in length, is a popular avenue of exploration.
How to Get There
Fairmount Park can be reached via car, taxi, bike, on foot, or via bus. If coming from Center City by car, the Benjamin Franklin Parkway takes you directly to the Philadelphia Museum of Art and into the eastern section of the park.
When to Get There
Fairmount Park is open daily from sunrise to sunset and is free for all to visit. The park hosts a busy event calendar throughout the year, which includes guided walks, runs, scavenger hunts, summertime beer gardens, and more. It’s advised to research scheduled park activities before you travel.
Fairmount Park is home to six historic mansions—nicknamed “the Charms”—which now operate as museums and are open throughout the year. The houses (which include Cedar Grove, Laurel Hill, Lemon Hill, Mount Pleasant, Historic Strawberry Mansion, and Woodford) date to the 18th and 19th centuries, and were once frequented by the Founding Fathers.
Address: Philadelphia, USA
2 Tours and Activities to Experience Fairmount Park
Explore the best that Philadelphia has to offer on this hop-on hop-off tour of the city. Visit 27 of Philadelphia’s top attractions — like the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall — on a 1.5-hour loop. Select from a 1- or 2-day pass, then board at any of the 27 stops and get to know the city in custom fashion, with live on-board commentary. After dinner (own expense), enjoy the city as it’s illuminated for the evening on a ‘Philly by Night Tour.’ Pickup and drop-off from select hotels included.
Explore the best that Philadelphia has to offer on this hop-on hop-off tour of the city. Visit Philadelphia’s top attractions—like the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall—on a full loop. Select from a 1-, 2-, or 3-day pass. Board at any of the stops and get to know the city in custom fashion, with live commentary. A route map and courtesy shuttle from Center City hotels are included.
Taking safety measures
Face masks required for travelers in public areas
Face masks required for guides in public areas
Face masks provided for travelers
Frequently Asked Questions
The answers provided below are based on answers previously given by the tour provider to customers’ questions.
What's the best way to experience Fairmount Park?
Things to do near Philadelphia
- Things to do in Pennsylvania
- Things to do in Amboseli National Park
- Things to do in Newark
- Things to do in New York City
- Things to do in Delphi
- Things to do in Brooklyn
- Things to do in Baltimore
- Things to do in Long Island
- Things to do in Washington DC
- Things to do in New Haven
- Things to do in Boston
- Things to do in Niagara Falls & Around
- Things to do in Toronto
- Things to do in New Jersey
- Things to do in Maryland