Prague Jewish Quarter (Josefov)
Join a Jewish Quarter walking tour, which will visit the district’s four synagogues—the Old New Synagogue, Klausen Synagogue, Spanish Synagogue, and Maisel Synagogue—as well as Jewish Town Hall and the 20th-century Jewish Ceremonial Hall. Tour the Old Jewish Cemetery and the former Pinkas Synagogue, now hosting a moving Holocaust memorial, to learn more about the Czech Republic’s Jewish history. Also explore Franz Kafka’s birthplace and Parizská Street for some designer shopping.
Things to Know Before You Go
A “Jewish Museum” ticket, valid for seven days, includes entrance to seven of the district’s synagogues and historic buildings.
Walking tours of the Jewish Quarter typically take three to four hours.
Many attractions, including the Spanish Synagogue, Maisel Synagogue, and the Old Jewish Cemetery, are wheelchair accessible.
How to Get to There
The Jewish Quarter is between Old Town Square and the Vltava River, and it’s easy to walk there on foot from any of the attractions in Prague’s Old Town. The closest tram stop is Pravnicka fakulta (trams 2, 17, and 18) and the nearest metro station is Staromestska (line A).
When to Get There
The Jewish Quarter is at its busiest during peak season (July and August); an early morning visit is the best time to avoid the crowds.
The Jewish Museum of Prague
During World War II, Hitler planned to preserve Prague’s Jewish Quarter as a “Museum of an Extinct Race.” Many religious buildings were left intact and valuable Jewish artifacts from all over Europe were imported to Prague. Today, Prague’s “Jewish Museum” serves as a memorial and tribute made up of seven of the quarter’s most important sites—the Robert Guttmann Gallery, the Ceremonial Hall, the Old Jewish Cemetery, and the Maisel, Pinkas, Spanish, and Klausen synagogues.
- Things to do in Karlovy Vary
- Things to do in Cesky Krumlov
- Things to do in Passau
- Things to do in Linz
- Things to do in Wroclaw
- Things to do in Nuremberg
- Things to do in Vienna
- Things to do in Schwechat
- Things to do in Salzburg
- Things to do in Berlin
- Things to do in Bratislava
- Things to do in Munich
- Things to do in Bohemia
- Things to do in Upper Austria
- Things to do in Lower Austria
- Spanish Synagogue (Spanelská Synagoga)
- Prague Old Town (Staré Mesto)
- Old New Synagogue (Staronová Synagoga)
- The Prague Illusion
- Paris Street (Parízská)
- Jewish Museum (Zidovské Muzeum)
- Maisel Synagogue (Maiselova Synagoga)
- M1 Lounge Bar & Club
- Old Jewish Cemetery (Starý Zidovský Hrbitov)
- Pinkas Synagogue (Pinkasova Synagoga) and Old Jewish Cemetery (Starý Zidovský Hrbitov)
- St. Agnes Convent (Kláster Sv. Anezky Ceské)
- Prague City Gallery (GHMP)
- Franz Kafka’s Birthplace (Expozice Franze Kafky)
- Prague Old Town Square (Staromestské Námestí)
- Prague Astronomical Clock (Prague Orloj)