Staropramen Visitor Center
Travelers wanting to learn about Czech history, beer culture, and the art of beer brewing will enjoy visiting the home of one of the Czech Republic’s most popular brands. Though not located inside the actual brewery, the Staropramen Visitor Center offers many opportunities to learn about beer making, including brief tours via audio guide. Many travelers visit independently to tour the visitor center and knock back a giant beer at the bar-restaurant, and some guided sightseeing tours of Prague make a stop here.
Things to Know Before You Go
Kids under the age of 7 get in free, but minors under the age of 18 won’t be served any alcohol.
Audio tours take about 50 minutes, but if you want to have a meal afterwards, plan to spend a couple of hours at the center and restaurant.
Czech and international meals, well-matched to Staropramen beer, are available at the on-site pub, which is open to the public.
The gift shop sells souvenir items including locally made glassware.
How to Get There
The Staropramen Visitor Center is in the Smichov district of Prague, on the western side of the Vltava River and south of the Prague Castle complex. The most convenient metro, bus, and tram hub is Andel, which is a short walk from the center.
When to Get There
The Staropramen Visitor Center is open daily from midmorning until evening. A good time to go is just before lunch or dinner, so you can enjoy a meal (and a few more beers) after your tour.
Visit Smichov’s MeetFactory
Formerly a grungy, industrial part of Prague, today the Smichov neighborhood is increasingly trendy, with some exciting artistic venues. The MeetFactory is a contemporary arts center established by Czech artist David Cerny (whose bronze baby sculptures you can see crawling up the side of Zizkov Tower, on the other side of the city) that hosts contemporary art exhibits and concerts.
- Things to do in Karlovy Vary
- Things to do in Cesky Krumlov
- Things to do in Passau
- Things to do in Linz
- Things to do in Wroclaw
- Things to do in Nuremberg
- Things to do in Vienna
- Things to do in Schwechat
- Things to do in Salzburg
- Things to do in Berlin
- Things to do in Bratislava
- Things to do in Munich
- Things to do in Bohemia
- Things to do in Upper Austria
- Things to do in Lower Austria
- Kingdom of Railways
- Podskali Custom House at Výton (Podskalská Celnice na Výtoni)
- Vyšehrad National Cultural Monument
- Dancing House (Tancici Dum)
- SS. Cyril and Methodius Cathedral (Katedrální Chrám Sv. Cyrila a Metodeje)
- Antonin Dvorak Museum (Muzeum Antonina Dvoraka)
- Charles Square (Karlovo Namesti)
- Vltava River
- Prague New Town Hall (Novomestská Radnice)
- Prague National Theatre (Národní Divadlo)
- Lesser Quarter (Mala Strana)
- Reduta Jazz Club
- Hard Rock Café Prague
- Museum Kampa