Amber Cove—arguably an attraction in its own right—is an ideal jumping-off point from which to explore the Dominican Republic’s many attractions. Zipline courses through the Monkey Jungle, horseback rides through the countryside, and thrilling waterfall slides at Damajagua Waterfalls are among the more popular options, but Puerto Plata city tours and trips to Mundo King Creole Castle don’t disappoint. Many tours also depart direct from the port for added convenience.
Recent reviews from experiences in Puerto Plata
Things to Know Before You Go
Amber Cove is home to bars, retail shops, a full-scale water park, waterfront cabanas, restrooms, Wi-Fi, and more.
Don’t miss out on the many nearby beaches, including Cabarete Beach and Golden Beach.
Most shore excursions include multiple stops, making it easier to do more in a short amount of time.
Amber Cove shore excursions can last up to five hours, so plan accordingly.
How to Get to Puerto Plata From Amber Cove
Amber Cove is situated just 7.5 miles (12 kilometers) from downtown Puerto Plata and it's easy to reach by private vehicle or organized tour. There's also a convenient transportation hub at the port, with access to rental cars and taxi services that let you get around and explore the island with ease. Most shore excursions also include pickup and drop-off at the cruise port for a hassle-free outing.
Although Spanish is the official language of the Dominican Republic, most shore excursions are offered in English, as are other services catered to tourists. The local currency is the Dominican peso, but some businesses around Amber Cove accept US dollars.
- Things to do in Samaná
- Things to do in Santo Domingo
- Things to do in La Romana
- Things to do in Punta Cana
- Things to do in Arecibo
- Things to do in Luquillo
- Things to do in Fajardo
- Things to do in Kingston
- Things to do in Ocho Rios
- Things to do in Runaway Bay
- Things to do in Trelawny
- Things to do in Falmouth
- Things to do in New Providence Island
- Things to do in Antigua
- Things to do in Caribbean Coast
- Fort San Felipe (Fortaleza San Felipe)
- Amber Museum (Museo Del Ámbar)
- Mt. Isabel de Torres
- Monument of Santiago (Monumento a los Héroes de la Restauración)
- Key Paradise
- Damajagua Falls (27 Charcos)
- Brugal Rum Center
- Dorada Beach (Playa Dorada)
- La Isabela
- Sosua Beach (Playa Sosua)
- Encuentro Beach (Playa Encuentro)
- Ocean World Adventure Park
- La Aurora Cigar Factory
- Punta Rusia
- Cayo Paraiso (Paradise Island)