Monolithos Castle (Kástro Monolíthou)
Monolithos Castle rewards those who make the trek to its ruined walls with some of the most dramatic views over the village of Monolithos, Akramytis peak, and Halki Island in the distance. Visitors can explore the perimeter walls and two medieval chapels—St. Panteleimon and St. George. Few group sightseeing tours visit this remote part of the island, so if you want to see it with a guide, you’re best off booking a private tour. For a romantic evening on the island, couples can combine a sunset tour of the castle with a wine tasting in the village of Embonas.
Things to Know Before You Go
- The climb to Monolithos Castle involves a steep set of stairs carved into the rock; be sure to wear sturdy shoes.
- Bring your camera, as the views from the top are some of the best on the island.
- The castle grounds are home to a small cafe where you can enjoy a cup of coffee or snack while soaking up the views.
How to Get There
The castle is 2 miles (3 kilometers) outside the village of Monolithos, accessible via a steep footpath front the base of the rocky outcrop to the castle. The best way to get there from Rhodes town is to join a guided tour or hire a car.
When to Get There
The site is open to visitors all the time, but it’s best to visit on a clear day in the morning or evening (around sunset) when temperatures are mild and the light is ideal for photography from the top.
Monolithos Village Visitors en route to the ruined castle will almost always pass through the village of Monolithos. It’s worth lingering in this whitewashed town for an hour or two for a meal in one of its taverns, some shopping at its local boutiques, or some time soaking up the sun at one of the area’s largely deserted beaches. The village is a good place to pick up local goods, like honey, olive oil, and souma (a libation made from distilled grapes), as souvenirs or gifts.
- Things to do in Dodecanese
- Things to do in Marmaris
- Things to do in Sarigerme
- Things to do in Bodrum
- Things to do in Kos
- Things to do in Kusadasi
- Things to do in Pamukkale
- Things to do in Selçuk
- Things to do in Antalya
- Things to do in Izmir
- Things to do in Santorini
- Things to do in Alanya
- Things to do in Larnaca
- Things to do in Turkish Riviera
- Things to do in Western Anatolia