This beautiful little neighborhood of boat houses on stilts lies on the southern end of the island, just east of French Harbour. A small restaurant, beautiful bay, and a lot of peace and quiet mark the area, where the main pastime is sit back, relax, and enjoy the leisurely pace of island life.
Oak Ridge is sometimes called “The Venice of Roatan” for the canals that double as its streets. While there’s not a lot to do in the town itself, it does serve as a jumping off point for adventures on the east end of the island and its isolated beaches and mangrove forests—an area known for its top notch fishing, scuba diving, and birdwatching. Guided tours of the Oak Ridge area often include a stop at the single bar and restaurant for a drink and time to soak up the relaxed atmosphere.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Oak Ridge is a must-visit for travelers looking to get off the beaten path.
- Don’t forget your camera, as the town is quite picturesque.
- Internet access is available at B.J.’s Backyard.
How to Get There
The best way to get to Oak Ridge is by car or taxi, or as part of an organized tour. The drive from Coxen Hole takes about 40 minutes.
When to Get There
Since Oak Ridge is remote and not heavily touristed, it rarely gets busy. Traffic on the way to the town can get congested when a cruise ship is moored on the island, however.
B.J.’s Backyard If you’re going to eat or drink in Oak Ridge, there’s only one place to do so, B.J.’s Backyard. This local watering hole has been around for over two decades and specializes in fresh seafood. Menu highlights include deviled crab, grilled shrimp, and bread pudding with rum sauce.
- Things to do in San Pedro Sula
- Things to do in Hopkins
- Things to do in Belize City
- Things to do in Ambergris Caye
- Things to do in San Ignacio
- Things to do in Costa Maya
- Things to do in San Salvador
- Things to do in León
- Things to do in Tulum
- Things to do in Cozumel
- Things to do in Granada
- Things to do in Panajachel
- Things to do in The Cayes
- Things to do in Central Highlands
- Things to do in Riviera Maya & the Yucatan