Church of St. Peter in Chains (San Pietro in Vincoli)
Michelangelo’s dramatic Moses statue was to have been the most prominent of the 40 figures planned for Pope Julius II's tomb and is considered one of the artist’s best works. But, work on the Sistine Chapel in the Vatican interrupted progress on the tomb, and Michelangelo completed only a few of the planned statues before his death.
The Church of St. Peter in Chains, also known as the Basilica Eudoxiana, is a favorite stop on walking tours of Ancient Rome that include other early Christian churches, such as San Clemente and the Basilica of St. Paul Outside the Walls. Those who want to pair their culture with cuisine can combine a tour of St. Peter in Chains with a wine tasting in the surrounding Monti neighborhood.
Things to Know Before You Go
If you are joining a walking tour of Rome, wear comfortable shoes, a hat, and sunscreen.
Catholic churches in Rome require modest attire to enter: Knees and shoulders must be covered.
Photography without flash is permitted inside the church.
There are stairs at the entrance to the church, so it is not accessible to wheelchairs or strollers.
How to Get There
St. Peter in Chains is only a short walk from the Colosseum and Roman Forum; the closest metro stop is Cavour.
When to Get There
Italy's capital city is one of the most popular destinations in Europe, and its sights can be very crowded in the summer months. Try to visit from November to April to enjoy the city's treasures without the crush of high-season tourists.
The Chains That Held St. Peter
This holy relic eventually made its way from Jerusalem to Rome, where it arrived in two parts, one of which was sent to Eudoxia, wife of emperor Valentinian III. When held next to shackles owned by Pope Leo I, legend holds the two parts miraculously fused together to form a single chain, now kept in an urn under the main altar.
- Things to do in Lake Bracciano
- Things to do in Lake Bolsena
- Things to do in Assisi
- Things to do in Siena
- Things to do in Naples
- Things to do in Capri
- Things to do in Pompeii
- Things to do in San Gimignano
- Things to do in Sorrento
- Things to do in Florence
- Things to do in Pisa
- Things to do in Bologna
- Things to do in Lazio
- Things to do in Umbria
- Things to do in Tuscany
- Golden House of Nero (Domus Aurea)
- Roman Forum (Foro Romano)
- Basilica di Santa Francesca Romana
- Santi Cosma e Damiano Church (Chiesa dei Santi Cosma e Damiano)
- Arch of Titus (Arco di Tito)
- Trajan's Column (Colonna di Traiano)
- Ancient Rome
- Oppian Hill Park (Parco del Colle Oppio)
- House of the Vestal Virgins (Casa delle Vestali)
- Temple of Caesar (Tempio di Cesare)
- Basilica of Santi Quattro Coronati (Basilica dei Santi Quattro Coronati)
- Basilica of San Clemente al Laterano (Basilica di San Clemente al Laterano)
- Basilica di Santa Prassede
- Trajan's Market (Mercati di Traiano)