Forum Boarium (Foro Boario)
The Forum Boarium is across from the famous Mouth of Truth (Bocca della Verità) at the Church of Santa Maria in Cosmedin, but it’s often skipped by visitors as the temples are behind fences, so can only be seen from the outside. Consider joining a private guided tour of the “secret” sights of Ancient Rome to explore the temples up close, along with skip-the-line access to the more famous archaeological sites dating from the Roman Empire, including the Colosseum and Roman Forum.
This commercially strategic market along the Tiber river was a major center of livestock trade as far back as the third century BC, and occupied a central location between Ancient Rome's Aventine and Palatine hills, along with the nearby Forum Holitorium produce market. Today, visitors can see the Temple of Portunus (Temple of Fortuna Virilis) from the first century BC and the Temple of Hercules Victor, ringed by a 20 columns. The Forum Boarium is also home to the Arch of Janus, dating from the fourth century.
Things to Know Before You Go
The Foro Boario is an outdoor archaeological site, so wear a hat, sunscreen, and comfortable shoes when visiting.
The cattle market is an especially fascinating tour for Roman history enthusiasts, and those who want to explore some of Rome's more off-the-beaten-path sights.
The site is accessible to wheelchairs and strollers.
How to Get There
The Forum Boarium is located along the Tiber river near the Circus Maximus. Take bus 170 to the Bocca della Verità stop or metro line B to Circo Massimo.
When to Get There
The archaeological site is outdoors, so visit in early morning or late afternoon in the summer months and on mild days with clear skies in winter.
Temple of Vesta
The circular Temple of Hercules Victor is often mistaken for the Temple of Vesta, another round temple ringed by columns located in the Roman Forum but only partially preserved.
- Things to do in Lake Bracciano
- Things to do in Lake Bolsena
- Things to do in Assisi
- Things to do in Siena
- Things to do in Naples
- Things to do in Capri
- Things to do in Pompeii
- Things to do in San Gimignano
- Things to do in Sorrento
- Things to do in Florence
- Things to do in Pisa
- Things to do in Bologna
- Things to do in Lazio
- Things to do in Umbria
- Things to do in Tuscany
- Piazza della Bocca della Verità
- Basilica of Saint Mary in Cosmedin (Basilica di Santa Maria in Cosmedin)
- St. Nicholas Basilica in Carcere (Basilica San Nicola)
- Tiber Island (Isola Tiberina)
- House of Augustus (Casa di Augusto)
- Theater of Marcellus (Teatro di Marcello)
- House of Livia (Casa di Livia)
- Portico of Octavia (Portico di Ottavia)
- Great Synagogue of Rome (Tempio Maggiore di Roma)
- Circus Maximus (Circo Massimo)
- Orange Garden (Giardino degli Aranci)
- Capitoline Hill and Museums (Campidoglio e Musei Capitolini)
- Palatine Museum (Museo del Palatino)
- Domus Augustana
- Jewish Museum of Rome (Museo Ebraico di Roma)