St. Peter's Baldachin (Baldacchino di San Pietro)
To view St. Peter’s Basilica, an important repository of art and sculpture, opt for a guided tour to learn about the baldachin and other works, including Michelangelo’sPietà, Bernini’s equestrian statue of Constantine, and the ubiquitous mosaics. Book an early or evening entrance or skip-the-line tour to avoid a wait to enter this popular Rome attraction. Combine a visit with St. Peter’s Dome above and the Vatacombs (papal tombs) below, or join an extended Vatican tour.
Things to Know Before You Go
You must pass through a security check to access the basilica—banned items include pocketknives, corkscrews, and umbrellas.
Your shoulders and knees must be covered to enter St. Peter’s Basilica.
The basilica’s interiors and St. Peter’s Baldachin are accessible to wheelchair users.
Photography without flash is allowed inside the basilica.
How to Get There
St. Peter’s Basilica is located on St. Peter’s Square (Piazza San Pietro) in Vatican City. The closest metro station is Ottaviano.
When to Get There
St. Peter’s Basilica is open to the public daily. Early morning and late afternoon are the best times to visit, when the crowds are thinner and wait times to enter shorter.
The Inauspicious Beginnings of St. Peter’s Baldachin
Bernini’s design for St. Peter’s Baldachin (Baldacchino di San Pietro), commissioned by Pope Urban VIII, called for so much bronze that the Pantheon’s beams were melted down—upsetting the Romans. It spurred the pun "Quod non fecerunt barbari, fecerunt Barberini," or "What the barbarians didn’t do, the Barberini did," an allusion to the pope’s family name of Barberini. The 24-year-old sculptor’s project eventually proved a success, even with the Romans.
- Things to do in Lake Bracciano
- Things to do in Lake Bolsena
- Things to do in Assisi
- Things to do in Siena
- Things to do in Naples
- Things to do in Capri
- Things to do in Pompeii
- Things to do in San Gimignano
- Things to do in Sorrento
- Things to do in Florence
- Things to do in Pisa
- Things to do in Bologna
- Things to do in Lazio
- Things to do in Umbria
- Things to do in Tuscany
- La Pietà
- St. Peter's Dome (Cupola di San Pietro)
- St. Peter's Basilica (Basilica di San Pietro)
- Sistine Chapel (Cappella Sistina)
- Vatican Grottoes (Grotte Vaticane)
- St. Peter's Square (Piazza San Pietro)
- Vatican Obelisk (Obelisco Vaticano)
- Vatican Museums (Musei Vaticani)
- Vatican City (Citta del Vaticano)
- Raphael's Rooms (Stanze di Raffaello)
- Vatican Gardens (Giardini Vaticani)
- Leonardo Da Vinci Experience Museum (Museo Leonardo Da Vinci Experience)
- Paciotti Salumeria
- Via Cola di Rienzo
- Castel Sant'Angelo National Museum (Museo Nazionale di Castel Sant'Angelo)