Hadrian's Villa (Villa Adriana) and Villa d'Este in Tivoli
Most Tivoli tours departing from Rome include visits to both Villa d'Este and Hadrian's Villa. At the latter, tour archaeological ruins of temples, libraries, and thermal baths, including the Maritime Theater, the grand Piazza d’Oro, the Imperial Palace, and the Canopus. At Villa d’Este—commissioned by Cardinal Ippolito—admire views from the Vialone Terrace and the picture-perfect Oval Fountain. To get the most out of your visit, opt for a full- or half-day guided tour through the Lazio countryside.
Recent reviews from experiences in Rome
Things to Know Before You Go
A skip-the-line ticket for Hadrian’s Villa allows travelers to maximize their time at the countryside villa.
Choose a full-day tour that includes lunch to enjoy a meal in the classical city of Tivoli.
If you don’t wish to travel by train, book a charter tour or a private tour that includes transportation.
Both the Villa d'Este and Hadrian's Villa are wheelchair accessible, although Tivoli has some cobblestoned streets.
How To Get There
Tivoli is set about 19 miles (30 kilometers) east of Rome and can be reached from the city by public transport. Take the bus from the Ponte Mammolo metro station or the Roma-Pescara train line from Tiburtina station. Alternatively, opt for a guided tour that includes round-trip transportation.
When to Get There
The Villa d'Este is open from 8:30am until the late afternoon or evening depending on the season, while Hadrian's Villa has slightly shorter hours, again depending on the season. Given Tivoli’s many gardens, spring is a great time to visit.
What to do in Lazio, Italy
Like Rome, Tivoli is set in the Italian region of Lazio. Although the Italian capital is the main draw for most visitors, take some time to visit the rejuvenating thermal waters of the Baths of Bagnaccio or the tumbling Monte Gelato waterfalls. And the weird and wonderful world of the Sacred Wood of Bomarzo (Sacro Bosco di Bomarzo) is an underrated gem.
- Things to do in Lake Bracciano
- Things to do in Lake Bolsena
- Things to do in Assisi
- Things to do in Siena
- Things to do in Naples
- Things to do in Capri
- Things to do in Pompeii
- Things to do in San Gimignano
- Things to do in Sorrento
- Things to do in Florence
- Things to do in Pisa
- Things to do in Bologna
- Things to do in Lazio
- Things to do in Umbria
- Things to do in Tuscany
- Historic Center of Rome (Centro Storico di Roma)
- Aqueduct Park (Parco degli Acquedotti)
- Villa Torlonia
- Piazzale Giuseppe Garibaldi
- Porta Maggiore
- Basilica of the Holy Cross in Jerusalem (Basilica di Santa Croce in Gerusalemme)
- Villa of the Quintilii (Villa dei Quintili)
- Quartiere Coppedè
- Museum of Contemporary Art of Rome (MACRO)
- Ciampino International Airport (CIA)
- Holy Stairs (Scala Sancta) and Chapel of San Lorenzo
- Appian Way and Aurelian Walls (Via Appia Antica e Mure Aureliane)
- Basilica of St. John Lateran (Basilica di San Giovanni in Laterano)
- Baths of Diocletian (Terme di Diocleziano)
- Rainbow Magic Land