Cube Houses (Kubuswoningen)
Often seen during bike and walking tours, the Cube Houses can be admired easily from the outside—though by venturing inside you’ll get a sense of what it’s like to live in one. Visit the Show-Cube (Kijk-Kubus) for a look around the interior, or book a bed at the Stayokay Hostel, which occupies one of the larger cube houses.
For an in-depth look at Rotterdam’s experimental buildings, take an architecture-themed tour of the city; itineraries typically take in the Cube Houses as well as the De Rotterdam office complex, Erasmus Bridge (Erasmusbrug), and Market Hall (Markthal).
Things to know before you go
- Steep stairs mean these houses are not well-suited to travelers with mobility issues.
- Avoid peeking in the windows; most of the houses are private residences.
- The Show-Cube is small and takes about 10–20 minutes to explore.
How to get there
The Cube Houses are situated in Rotterdam’s Old Harbor (Oude Haven) and are best reached by public transit. Ride the A, B, or C metro lines, the #21 or #24 trams, or the train to Blaak Station.
When to get there
The Cube Houses are best appreciated in summer, when you can make the most of the nearby harbor-side restaurant and café terraces. The Show-Cube attracts more visitors in summer, and may feel a little crowded, though people tend to pass through fairly quickly.
Rotterdam’s Standout Structures
The Cube Houses are just one of many boundary-pushing buildings throughout Rotterdam. Largley destroyed by bombing during World War II, the city has since been reborn with a host of innovative developments, including the horseshoe-shaped Market Hall, Rotterdam Central Station (Rotterdam Centraal), and De Rotterdam—architect Rem Koolhaas’ trio of glass high-rises.
- Rotterdam Old Harbor (Oude Haven)
- Markthal (Market Hall)
- Church of St. Lawrence (Sint Laurenskerk)
- Maritime Museum Rotterdam
- Rotterdam City Hall (Stadhuis)
- Erasmusbrug (Erasmus Bridge)
- Museum Boijmans Van Beuningen
- Kop van Zuid
- Kunsthal Rotterdam (Art Hall Rotterdam)
- Rotterdam Central Station (Rotterdam Centraal)
- Netherlands Photo Museum (Nederlands Fotomuseum)
- Miniworld Rotterdam
- Rotterdam Zoo (Diergaarde Blijdorp)
- SS Rotterdam