Mirabell Palace and Gardens (Schloss Mirabell und Mirabellgarten)
Both Salzburg city tours andThe Sound of Music tours often include a stop at Mirabell Palace and Gardens (Schloss Mirabell und Mirabellgarten), where visitors can explore the lavish palace interiors, stroll the landscaped gardens, and admire the grand marble Donnerstiege stairway. The palace’s ornate Marble Hall hosts regular concerts of music by Salzburg’s favorite son, Mozart.
Recent reviews from experiences in Salzburg
Things to Know Before You Go
Admission to the palace and gardens is free.
The Dwarf Garden (Zwergelgarten) is a must-see for families with kids.
The palace and its gardens are wheelchair accessible.
How to Get There
Mirabell Palace and Gardens are located on the northern bank of the River Salzach in central Salzburg. The easiest way to reach the palace is on foot—it’s about a 10-minute walk from the Old Town, across the State Bridge (Staatsbrücke).
When to Get There
Mirabell Palace and the Mirabell Garden are open daily year-round, but the gardens are at their most impressive during spring and summer, when the flowers are in full bloom. During peak summer months, an early morning visit is best to avoid the crowds. In the winter, the Dwarf Garden and Hedge Theater are closed.
Exploring the Mirabell Gardens
Originally designed by Johann Bernhard Fischer von Erlach in the 17th century, the Mirabell Garden is among the most impressive baroque gardens in Europe. The grand centerpiece is the Pegasus Fountain, around which the Von Trapp children danced during their rendition of “Do-Re-Mi” inThe Sound of Music. Other highlights include the Rose Garden, the Grand Fountain, the Hedge Theater, and the unique Dwarf Garden filled with knee-high marble garden gnomes.
- Things to do in Austrian Alps
- Things to do in Hallstatt
- Things to do in Passau
- Things to do in Linz
- Things to do in Munich
- Things to do in Innsbruck
- Things to do in Cesky Krumlov
- Things to do in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
- Things to do in Bled
- Things to do in Ljubljana
- Things to do in Nuremberg
- Things to do in Vienna
- Things to do in Venice
- Things to do in Upper Austria
- Things to do in Bavaria
- Salzburg Marionette Theater
- Mozart Residence (Mozart-Wohnhaus)
- Salzburg Museum of Natural History (Haus der Natur)
- Mozart’s Birthplace (Mozarts Geburtshaus)
- Mönchsberg Lift (Mönchsbergaufzug)
- Museum of Modern Art Salzburg Mönchsberg (Museum der Moderne am Mönchsberg)
- Toy Museum (Spielzeugmuseum)
- Large Festival Hall (Grosses Festspielhaus)
- Georg Trakl Memorial (Traklhouse)
- Museum of Modern Art Salzburg Rupertinum (Museum der Moderne Rupertinum)
- Residenz Gallery (Residenzgalerie)
- Mozart Square (Mozartplatz)
- Salzburg Old Market (Alter Markt)