San Fernando Cathedral
This Gothic Revival cathedral ranks among San Antonio’s most important religious landmarks. While the architecture of the structure is impressive, many visitors come for the free light and sound show, San Antonio: The Saga, staged each evening, which tells the story of San Antonio projected across the cathedral’s facade. Most sightseeing tours around town include a stop at the cathedral, including the hop-on hop-off sightseeing bus. The cathedral also features on after-dark ghost tours through the streets of downtown.
Things to Know Before You Go
- The cathedral is a must-see for history buffs and spiritual travelers.
- Remember to be respectful when entering, as this is an active place of worship.
- The cathedral grounds include a small gift shop.
How to Get There
The cathedral is on Maine Avenue in the heart of downtown San Antonio, within easy walking distance of the River Walk and the Tower of the Americas. Public buses stop nearby at the intersection of S. Flores and Dolorosa.
When to Get There
Visitors are welcome inside the cathedral daily between 6am and 6pm, though it’s best to visit between masses unless you plan to attend. Masses take place daily in both Spanish and English.
Religious History in San Antonio Catholicism has long played an important role in the history and culture of San Antonio, a city founded by Spanish missionaries. To get a fuller picture of this religious history, be sure to visit San Antonio Missions National Historical Park, the Alamo, and the Little Church of La Villita, known for its collection of religious art.
- Things to do in Texas
- Things to do in Houston
- Things to do in Galveston
- Things to do in South Padre Island
- Things to do in Dallas
- Things to do in Monterrey
- Things to do in New Orleans
- Things to do in Branson
- Things to do in Albuquerque
- Things to do in Sapa
- Things to do in Louisiana
- Things to do in New Mexico
- Things to do in Missouri
- Things to do in Central Mexico
- Spanish Governor's Palace
- Bexar County Courthouse
- Hard Rock Cafe San Antonio
- San Antonio River Walk (Paseo Del Rio)
- Buckhorn Saloon & Museum
- La Villita Historic Arts Village
- San Antonio Historic Market Square
- Battle For Texas: The Experience
- The Alamo
- Hemisfair Park
- Alamo IMAX Theatre
- Tower of the Americas
- King William Historic District
- Institute of Texan Cultures (ITC)
- The Guenther House