A visit to the park is included on most San Diego city sightseeing tours, and Segway tours are another popular way to explore Balboa. The central part of the park houses the renowned San Diego Zoo and its more than 3,000 animals. At the Museum of Man, part of the California Quadrangle and its distinctive arch, you can see Native American artifacts and other cultural archaeology exhibits. The San Diego Museum of Art displays a number of European works, and nearby sites include the Timken Museum of Art, the Botanical Building, the Natural History Museum, Alcazar Gardens, the House of Pacific Relations International Cottages, and the Spanish Village Art Center. The east end of the park holds the Balboa Park Municipal Golf Course and the Spreckels Organ Pavilion.
Recent reviews from experiences in San Diego
Things to Know Before You Go
Explore the area on foot or use the free Balboa Park Tram, which loops continuously around the main areas of the park daily from 9am to 6 or 8pm.
Balboa Park is kid-friendly, with a miniature train, playgrounds, and play areas in most museums.
With so many options, it’s best to prioritize your desired stops in the park. You can pick up a park map at the Balboa Park Visitors Center in the House of Hospitality.
Free concerts on the Spreckels Organ are held every Sunday at 2pm, and on Monday evenings at 7:30pm from late June through August.
Eating options abound throughout the park. Be sure to check out the Prado for diverse cuisine and museum-inspired decor.
How to Get There
Set in downtown San Diego, Balboa Park is easily reached by bus. By car, Park Boulevard provides easy access to the site’s free parking areas near most of the exhibits. The most scenic approach, however, is over the Cabrillo Bridge from the west—the steep roadsides, lush with hanging greenery, resemble a rain forest gorge.
When to Get There
Balmy San Diego is famous for its year-round sunshine and mild climate. Balboa Park is open year-round and 24 hours a day, with the Visitors Center open from 9:30am to 4:30pm. The zoo, museums, and other attractions have varying opening hours.
Things to Do Near Balboa Park
Although countless activities are available in Balboa Park, the location is an ideal base for seeing some of San Diego’s other top sights. The beaches of La Jolla, the charm of Old Town, and the bustle of the historic Gaslamp Quarter are just a short drive away.
- Things to do in California
- Things to do in La Jolla
- Things to do in Palm Springs
- Things to do in Anaheim & Buena Park
- Things to do in Long Beach
- Things to do in Los Angeles
- Things to do in Santa Monica
- Things to do in Santa Barbara
- Things to do in Pismo Beach
- Things to do in Las Vegas
- Things to do in San Luis Obispo
- Things to do in Paso Robles
- Things to do in Scottsdale
- Things to do in Arizona
- Things to do in Nevada
- San Diego Museum of Man (SDMM)
- Old Globe Theater
- Mingei International Museum
- San Diego Museum of Art (SDMA)
- El Prado
- Spreckels Organ Pavilion
- Japanese Friendship Garden
- Museum of Photographic Arts
- San Diego Model Railroad Museum (SDMRM)
- San Diego Sports Association
- San Diego Automotive Museum
- San Diego History Center
- San Diego Natural History Museum (The Nat)
- San Diego Zoo
- Spanish Village Art Center