Old Town San Diego
The main attraction is Old Town San Diego State Historic Park, which offers insight into San Diego’s Mexican and early American history in the 1800s. Stop by an old schoolhouse and Casa de Estudillo, a restored adobe home filled with period furniture. Other diversions include Mexican restaurants, live mariachi performances, and shops selling jewelry, pottery, and other goods. Old Town is included in several city tours, including hop-on hop-off routes, food tours, and ghost tours.
Recent reviews from experiences in San Diego
Things to Know Before You Go
Old Town is a must for history buffs and first-time visitors to San Diego.
A visitor center is located in the main plaza and is a good place to begin your visit.
Public parking lots are available, as well as street parking.
How to Get There
Old Town is northwest of downtown, with the state historic park at the intersection of San Diego Avenue and Twiggs Street. The Old Town transit center on Taylor Street serves San Diego trolleys and buses.
When to Get There
Go during the day to see the historical sites of the park, or arrive around dinnertime to enjoy the area's lively evening atmosphere. Cinco de Mayo festivities take place every year, and for live entertainment such as folk dancing, head to the Fiesta de Reyes Stage.
Whaley House Museum
Located in Old Town, the Whaley House Museum is said to be one of the most haunted sites in the city, making it a popular visitor attraction, especially with ghost tours. The mansion was built in the 1850s where gallows once stood, and unusual activity has been reported there ever since. More recently it's been featured on TV and in books for paranormal activity.
- Things to do in California
- Things to do in La Jolla
- Things to do in Palm Springs
- Things to do in Anaheim & Buena Park
- Things to do in Long Beach
- Things to do in Los Angeles
- Things to do in Santa Monica
- Things to do in Santa Barbara
- Things to do in Pismo Beach
- Things to do in Las Vegas
- Things to do in San Luis Obispo
- Things to do in Paso Robles
- Things to do in Scottsdale
- Things to do in Arizona
- Things to do in Nevada
- Whaley House Museum
- El Campo Santo Cemetery
- Liberty Station
- Maritime Museum of San Diego
- Little Italy San Diego
- B-Street Pier & Cruise Ship Terminal
- Balboa Park
- Old Globe Theater
- San Diego Museum of Man (SDMM)
- USS Midway Museum
- San Diego Zoo
- Shelter Island
- San Diego Museum of Art (SDMA)
- Mingei International Museum