To limit the spread of the coronavirus, attractions may be closed or have partial closures. Please consult government travel advisories before booking. The WHO is closely monitoring the coronavirus and more information can be found here.
Russian Hill Tours
Read MoreShow Less
This neighborhood in the northeast section of San Francisco features mostly high-end real estate with enviable views of San Francisco Bay, but it’s also home to one of the city’s top attractions—the crooked block of Lombard Street. One of San Francisco cable car travels straight up and down the hill on Hyde Street, drawing lots of visitors to this otherwise residential area.
With its location adjacent to Ghirardelli Square, Fisherman’s Wharf, North Beach, and Nob Hill, Russian Hill is part of many city sightseeing itineraries, but most tour buses won’t travel up the steep hill itself. Opt for an urban hike, food walking tour, or Segway tour for a more in-depth look at the neighborhood, which is one of San Francisco’s prettiest.
Ina Coolbrith Park at Taylor and Vallejo streets is a tiny spot with a lush garden, benches, and bay views—it’s a great place to take a short break if you’re exploring the neighborhood on foot.
Things to Know Before You Go
- There is a lot of metered and free street parking available, but pay attention to posted signs about prohibited parking during street cleaning or other times.
- Wear shoes appropriate for walking down steep grades.
- Hyde and Leavenworth streets at either end of Lombard Street’s switchbacks are busy San Francisco roads; blocking traffic while trying to take pictures is not recommended.
How to Get There
Russian Hill sits roughly between Van Ness Avenue, Broadway, Columbus Avenue, and Bay Street. For the most quintessentially San Francisco experience, take the Powell–Hyde cable car line north from Union Square. The neighborhood is also accessible via Muni buses 19, 41, and 45.
When to Get There
For photos of Lombard Street without the crowds or serene views of the city and bay, go in the early morning before tour groups arrive. In August, the Polk Street Blues Festival features live entertainment, food stands, and arts and crafts booths.
On the western edge of Russian Hill and down into Nob Hill, Polk Street is a popular destination for shopping, dining, and nightlife. After a day of climbing up and down some of the city’s steepest blocks, check out Polk Street’s bar scene to mingle with the locals.
Address: Russian Hill, San Francisco, California, USA
0 Tours and Activities to Experience Russian Hill
No results found!
Things to do near San Francisco
- Things to do in California
- Things to do in Sausalito
- Things to do in Oakland
- Things to do in Napa & Sonoma
- Things to do in Santa Rosa
- Things to do in Yosemite National Park
- Things to do in Lake Tahoe
- Things to do in Paso Robles
- Things to do in San Luis Obispo
- Things to do in Pismo Beach
- Things to do in Santa Barbara
- Things to do in Los Angeles
- Things to do in Long Beach
- Things to do in Nevada
- Things to do in Oregon