Chaxa Lagoon (Laguna Chaxa) Tours and Activities
Chaxa Lagoon (Laguna Chaxa) often serves as an introduction to the salt flat for visitors. The ground here is crusted with an inedible salt, and in the morning, a pinkish light comes over the horizon as the sun rises. While the crystalline ground is fascinating and curious, the wild flamingos in the area often turn heads.
And the presence of flamingos should be no surprise, as the Chaxa Lagoon(Laguna Chaxa) is one of the easiest entry points to Chile’s National Flamingo Reserve and a great place for photographers with good reflexes (and zoom, as the birds often keep their distance).
As the pinkish light dissipates and the air warms up, packs of the birds take flight over the lake. Three different species often reside here: the Chilean, Andean and James' flamingos. A variety of other birds can be seen here as well, including the Andean avocet, the puna plover and a type of sandpiper, a small bird with a long beak that feeds on small organisms in the mineral-rich water. The birds are most active at sunrise and sunset.
Tours and Activities to Experience Chaxa Lagoon (Laguna Chaxa)
Frequently Asked Questions
- Atacama Salt Flat and Altiplanic Lagoons Day Tour
- Altiplanic Lagoons, Piedras Rojas and Atacama Salt Flat
- Guided Self-drive in Atacama
- 4-Day Best of Atacama: Moon Valley, Tatio Geysers and Altiplanic Lagoons
- Things to do in North Chile
- Things to do in Uyuni
- Things to do in Salta
- Things to do in La Paz
- Things to do in Arequipa
- Things to do in Puno
- Things to do in Northwest Argentina
- Things to do in Altiplano
- Things to do in South Coast
- Things to do in The Pampas
- Things to do in Lake District
- Things to do in North Coast