Santa Clara Island (Isla de Santa Clara)
For a few hours during low tide, a gentle crescent of a beach appearsxa0 at the base of the hill. At high tide, trek the pretty forested paths to the lighthouse and enjoy a picnic at one of the tables shaded by trees and enjoy the city and beach views.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Santa Clara Island is an ideal spot for nature lovers.
- Fix up a picnic lunch before heading to the island, especially off-season when the cafes are closed.
- The beach has a lifeguard to watch over the shore.
- Rent a kayak at a kiosk on La Concha Beach.
- Public showers are found on the island.
- Seasonal ferries from La Concha Beach run every half-hour; glass-bottom boats run every hour.
How to Get There
Santa Clara Island is 765 yards (700 meters) from La Concha Beach in San Sebastián’s Old Town. From June through September (and during Easter), regular ferries make their way to the island from the fishing port. Any time of year, you may kayak or swim the bay’s gentle waters to the island.
When to Get There
The island is open to visitors year-round, though is most accessible from June through September when the ferries are running. During these months, expect a couple of cafés and bars to be open and well-populated.
Old Town (Parte Vieja) The fishing port where you catch the ferry is in San Sebastian’s most romantic quarter, famed for its beauty and gastronomy. Thexa0 medieval maze of narrow alleyways are packed pintxo bars where people from all over the world come to sample bit-sized culinary sensations and traditional Basque beverages such as txakoli wine and cider. Some of the best seafood restaurants are located near the fishing port docks.
- Things to do in Basque Country
- Things to do in Bilbao
- Things to do in Santander
- Things to do in Bordeaux
- Things to do in Zaragoza
- Things to do in Toulouse
- Things to do in Segovia
- Things to do in Madrid
- Things to do in Tarragona
- Things to do in Barcelona
- Things to do in Girona
- Things to do in Toledo
- Things to do in Valencia
- Things to do in Aquitaine
- Things to do in Aragón
- Ondarreta Beach (Playa de Ondarreta)
- San Sebastián Aquarium
- Miramar Palace (Palacio de Miramar)
- Monte Urgull
- La Concha Beach (Playa de la Concha)
- San Sebastian Old Town (Parte Vieja Donostiarra)
- Constitution Square (Plaza de la Constitución)
- San Telmo Museum (STM)
- Buen Pastor Cathedral
- Victoria Eugenia Theatre (Teatro Victoria Eugenia)
- Monte Igueldo