Jin Mao Tower
Also known as the Golden Prosperity Building, Jin Mao Tower combines modern architectural engineering with traditional Chinese design, featuring the auspicious number 8 prominently, from its 88 floors to its octagonal pagoda-like design. The observation deck is the largest in Shanghai, with an area of 16,400 square feet (1,520 square meters) and capacity for 1,000 people. High-speed elevators take only 45 seconds to reach the 88th floor. The tower has numerous dining and entertainment options, as well as a five-star hotel.
Combine a visit to Jin Mao Tower with a hop-on hop-off bus tour of Shanghai, a Huangpu River dinner cruise, or a half-day, full-day, or evening sightseeing tour that includes other top Shanghai attractions. Cruise ship passengers and those on a layover can take a customized private tour.
Things to Know Before You Go
Don’t forget to bring your camera to capture stunning Shanghai vistas.
Visitors to Jin Mao Tower may have to undergo a security check before entering.
Purchase admission tickets ahead of time to avoid waiting in line.
The observation deck at Jin Mao Tower is wheelchair accessible.
How to Get There
Jin Mao Tower is located at 88 Century Boulevard, Lujiazui District, in Pudong. By metro, take Line 2 to Lujiazui Station (Exit 6) and walk south. Alternatively, take bus 85, 774, 971, or 992 to Lujiazui Station. Or take City Sightseeing Bus Line 2 and get off at Jin Mao Tower.
When to Get There
Time your visit to Jin Mao Tower’s observation deck, which is open daily from 8am to 10pm, for a clear day for the best views. Or arrive visit just before sunset and stay for the nighttime views, when buildings on both sides of the Huangpu River light up.
Jin Mao Skywalk
Those who dare can now walk on the outside of Jin Mao Tower, on the glass-bottomed skywalk running along the 88th floor observation deck. With a length of 196 feet (60 meters) and a width of 4 feet (1.2 meters), the walk has no guardrails. Instead, adventurous visitors wear hard hats and safety harnesses attached to the building that allow them to walk freely along the skywalk.
- Things to do in Eastern China
- Things to do in Suzhou
- Things to do in Hangzhou
- Things to do in Nanjing
- Things to do in Huangshan
- Things to do in Qingdao
- Things to do in Qufu
- Things to do in Taipei
- Things to do in Jeonju
- Things to do in Busan
- Things to do in Incheon
- Things to do in Seoul
- Things to do in Okinawa
- Things to do in Nagasaki Prefecture
- Things to do in Fukuoka Prefecture
- Shanghai World Financial Center (SWFC)
- Shanghai Tower (Shanghai Zhongxin Dasha)
- Shanghai History Museum (Shanghai Lishi Bowuguan)
- Oriental Pearl Tower (Dongfang Mingzhu Ta)
- Shanghai Ocean Aquarium (SOA)
- Bund Sightseeing Tunnel
- Shanghai Port International Cruise Terminal
- Yuyuan Garden (Yu Garden)
- Fairmont Peace Hotel (Heping Fandian)
- Shanghai City God Temple (Chenghuang Miao)
- Shanghai Old City (Nanshi)
- Nanjing Road (Nanjing Lu)
- Shanghai Jewish Refugees Museum (Shanghai Youtai Nanmin Jinianguan)
- Shanghai Urban Planning Exhibition Hall (Shanghai Chengshi Guihua Zhanshi Guan)
- Shanghai Museum (Shanghai Bowuguan)