The warehouses and factories in this industrial area have been converted into working and exhibition space for a range of art forms, including painting, photography, sculpture, design, new media, and interactive installations. Pick up a map at any of the major galleries in M50 to help guide you around. Notable galleries and studios include ShanghART, Island6, EastLink Gallery, and more.
Take a break from browsing at one of the cafés, bars, or restaurants nearby. A number of sightseeing tours stop at M50 Creative Park, including some focused on art, architecture, or culture.
Things to Know Before You Go
This is a must-visit for those with an interest in contemporary Chinese art.
M50 is free to enter, but some exhibitions and galleries may charge an admission fee.
Expect to spend a few hours here.
Not all of the galleries or studios have heat or air conditioning.
Some galleries and studios do not allow photography; ask before taking any photos.
How to Get There
M50 is located in the Putuo District. By metro, take Line 1 to Shanghai Railway Station, Line 3 or 4 to Zhongtan Road, or Line 13 to Jiangning Road Station, and walk about 15 minutes. Or take bus nos. 76, 105, or 801 to Changhua Road Aomen Road Station.
When to Get There
Different galleries and art studios will have different opening days and times. Some are open daily, while others may be closed Monday or Tuesday. It’s best to call ahead if there is a particular gallery, studio, or exhibition you want to see.
Contemporary Art Museums
For visitors who can’t get enough of contemporary art, there are a few museums in Shanghai that are focused on the genre. They include Rockbund Art Museum at the northern end of the Bund, Power Station of Art (converted from one of the buildings used during the 2010 World Expo), and the Museum of Contemporary Art in People’s Park.
- Things to do in Eastern China
- Things to do in Suzhou
- Things to do in Hangzhou
- Things to do in Nanjing
- Things to do in Huangshan
- Things to do in Qingdao
- Things to do in Qufu
- Things to do in Taipei
- Things to do in Jeonju
- Things to do in Busan
- Things to do in Incheon
- Things to do in Seoul
- Things to do in Okinawa
- Things to do in Nagasaki Prefecture
- Things to do in Fukuoka Prefecture
- Moganshan Road (Moganshan Lu)
- Jade Buddha Temple (Yufo Si)
- Jing’an Temple
- People’s Square (Renmin Guangchang)
- Shanghai Grand Theatre (Shanghai Da Juyuan)
- Shanghai Urban Planning Exhibition Hall (Shanghai Chengshi Guihua Zhanshi Guan)
- Shanghai Museum (Shanghai Bowuguan)
- Duolun Road
- Shanghai French Concession
- Xin Tian Di
- Nanjing Road (Nanjing Lu)
- Former Residence of Sun Yat-sen
- Shikumen Open House Museum (Wulixiang Shikumen Bowuguan)
- Fairmont Peace Hotel (Heping Fandian)
- Bund Sightseeing Tunnel