Doune Castle Tours
Read MoreShow Less
A favorite filming location for movie and TV productions, medieval Doune Castle has appeared in Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Game of Thrones, and Outlander. Built for the Duke of Albany in the 14th century, the castle—now semi-ruined—has welcomed such illustrious guests as Mary, Queen of Scots, and Bonnie Prince Charles.
The best way to independently visit Doune Castle, managed by Historic Environment Scotland, is to prebook your timed entry. An audio tour, narrated by Monty Python star Terry Jones, guides you around the property, revealing tales from the castle’s history and filming anecdotes. Your entry includes access to several rooms, including the great hall and the kitchen, although the interior is mostly empty.
Screen buffs might prefer to visit the caste as part of an Outlander-themed tours from Glasgow and Edinburgh. Or, join a sightseeing tour with included transportation that combines a visit to two castles, Stirling and Duone. Other tours venture into Loch Lomond and Trossachs National Park.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Doune Castle is a must for Monty Python fans and history buffs.
- You find parking and restrooms at the castle, and plenty of cafes in the nearby village of Doune.
- Entry to the castle is included with the Historic Scotland Explorer Pass.
- Much of the castle is inaccessible to travelers using wheelchairs.
- There are views of the River Teith toward the Menteith Hills from the battlements.
How to Get There
Doune Castle is about 9 miles (14 kilometers) from Stirling for a 20-minute drive. First Scotland East bus service No. 59 runs between Stirling and Callander, stopping at Bank Street in Doune village, about .5 miles (.8 kilometers) from the castle site for about a 10-minute walk.
When to Get There
Doune Castle is open daily year-round with extended opening hours between April and September. If you visit outside of these months, note that last entry is 3:30pm.
While in Doune, consider making a visit to nearby Deanston Distillery. Set on the banks of the River Teith, this distillery—housed in an old cotton mill—has been producing Scotch whisky since the 1960s. Tours range from standard distillery tours that include a tasting of 12-year-old whisky to special tours of the old cooperage—now a warehouse for maturing whiskies—where you can taste spirits straight from the cask.
Address: Castle Hill, Doune, Perthshire, United Kingdom, Scotland
6 Tours and Activities to Experience Doune Castle
- We will pick you up from your accommodation in Edinburgh or Glasgow - Travel luxuriously in a Mercedes Benz and don’t worry about rental cars - Customize the highlights of Scotland tour to your personal needs and interests - Forget complicated meeting points, as door-to-door transfers are included Explore the most iconic highlights of SCOTLAND in 3 DAYS! This tour is ideal for travelers short on time who want to experience a memorable Scottish adventure. All of the best locations: mountains, castles, stunning lochs, Harry Potter and Outlander famous scenes and many others. Travel in a luxurious Mercedes-Benz vehicle with Wi-Fi and bottled water included to make it a stress-free experience. Book now and enjoy the best personalised experience of a Private Premium Tour with us!
Our Stirling city tours are private and completely tailor-made to your interests and needs. In all our tours we take time to visit Stirling Castle and the Old Town in the morning, but we will design a custom-made itinerary for the rest of the day specifically for you. We will guide you around Stirling, tell you about its history and legends, and make sure you enjoy a perfect day in our town. If you wish to tell us about any particular thing you'd like to see on your visit, don't hesitate to contact us. Otherwise, see you in Stirling for an amazing day out!
Did you know that castles can be movie stars too? Doune Castle managed to play Castle Leoch in Outlander, Winterfell in Game of Thrones and Camelot in the classic Monty Python and the Holy Grail movie. But that's just the beginning! Have a dram (or a full tour) at Deanston Distillery, take a walk in picturesque Callander and discover great Scottish outdoors and Rob Roy's grave in Balquhidder. If you're a big fan of Claire and Jamie, you can get lost in the gardens of Versailles (well, actually Drummond Castle Gardens...), before we visit William Wallace at his monument and hear about his greatest victory. Hop on a perfect day trip with Brambling Bus - what are you waiting for?!
- We will pick you up from your accommodation in Edinburgh or Glasgow - Travel luxuriously in a Mercedes Benz and don’t worry about rental cars - Customize the highlights of Scotland tour to your personal needs and interests - Forget complicated meeting points, as door-to-door transfers are included This tour is a splendid introduction to Scotland. You will be amazed by the remarkable beauty of Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park with the savage history of Stirling Castle. On this trip there is plenty of time to examine the unique nature and architecture. Travel in a luxurious Mercedes-Benz vehicle with Wi-Fi and bottled water included to make it a stress-free experience. Book now and enjoy the best personalised experience of a Private Premium Tour with us! Please note that the itinerary above was created according to our recommendations. Any other attractions can be incorporated on request.
Executive Private tour for 1- 4 people.For this Outlander tour, you will travel in style in one of our luxury vehicles. Our executive tours are designed to give you and your party the very best Outlander experience.With a maximum of 4 people per tour you will be sure to get a fully personalized day from your tour guide. All our tour guides are born and bred in Scotland and are honored to share our culture, history and heritage with all our visitors. Step back in time like they did on Outlander and let us show you three iconic Outlander locations on this tour. Departing from Glasgow and Greater Clyde Valley only.
Taking safety measures
Face masks provided for travelers
Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
Go on a romantic time-travelling adventure with one of our private Outlander Tours from Stirling, Edinburgh or indeed anywhere else in Scotland! During this special 2-day tour you’ll get to relive Jamie’s and Claire’s story at its set locations and fall in love with Scotland!
Frequently Asked Questions
The answers provided below are based on answers previously given by the tour provider to customers’ questions.
What's the best way to experience Doune Castle?
The best ways to experience Doune Castle are:
- Isle of Skye, The Highlands & Loch Ness 3 Day Premium Tour With Chauffeur
- Stirling Private City Tour
- 1-day Private Tour with Rob Roy, Wallace and Jamie Fraser
- Stirling And Loch Lomond Private Premium Day Tour With Chauffeur
Things to do near Stirling
- Things to do in Glasgow
- Things to do in Edinburgh
- Things to do in Inverness
- Things to do in Aberdeen
- Things to do in Newcastle-upon-Tyne
- Things to do in Belfast
- Things to do in Middlesbrough
- Things to do in Londonderry
- Things to do in Blackpool
- Things to do in York
- Things to do in Liverpool
- Things to do in Birmingham
- Things to do in Northeast Scotland
- Things to do in The Scottish Highlands
- Things to do in North East England