With three days in Stockholm, you have time to soak in the city’s atmosphere, see its most famous sights, and even head out of town for a history- or nature-filled day trip into the surrounding countryside.
Stockholm Royal Palace (Kungliga Slottet)
Slottsbacken, Gamla stan, Stockholm, 111 30
Most sightseeing and walking tours of Stockholm include a photo stop at the Royal Palace, often timed to coincide with the daily Changing of the Guard ceremony. For those who prefer to explore independently, hop-on hop-off bus and boat tours stop outside the palace. Purchase a Stockholm Card to gain free entrance, along with access to a wealth of other Stockholm attractions.
Things to Know Before You Go
Plan to spend one or two hours touring the palace and on-site museums.
Visitor facilities include restrooms, lockers, a gift shop, and a café (summer only).
Most areas of the palace are accessible for wheelchair users.
How to Get There
The palace lies on the north end of Gamla stan, Stockholm's Old Town, on the island of Stadsholmen. Buses stop at Slottsbacken, just outside the palace, while the closest metro (Tunnelbana) station is Gamla stan, a 5-minute walk from the palace.
When to Get There
Stockholm Royal Palace is open year-round, but summer is the most popular time to visit , when it's best to visit early if you want to avoid crowds. Summer visitors can also enjoy the parade of the Royal Guard, King Gustav III's Museum of Antiquities, and the summer café.
Inside the Stockholm Royal Palace
Palace visitors can peek into the Royal Apartments, including the Bernadotte Apartments, the Banquet Hall, and King Carl Gustaf's Jubilee Room; marvel at the crown jewels in the Treasury; and browse the royal book collection in the Bernadotte Library. There are also several museums to explore, including the Royal Armoury, the Tre Kronor Museum, and King Gustav III's Museum of Antiquities (summer only).
- Things to do in Tallinn
- Things to do in Helsinki
- Things to do in Oslo
- Things to do in Riga
- Things to do in Copenhagen
- Things to do in Kaliningrad
- Things to do in Gdansk
- Things to do in Vilnius
- Things to do in Rostock
- Things to do in St Petersburg
- Things to do in Stavanger
- Things to do in Poznan
- Things to do in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
- Things to do in Western Norway
- Things to do in Northern Germany
- Stockholm Old Town (Gamla Stan)
- Nobel Prize Museum
- Stockholm Archipelago (Stockholms Skärgard)
- Museum of Medieval Stockholm (Medeltidsmuseet)
- Stockholm Parliament House (Riksdagshuset)
- Royal Swedish Opera (Kungliga Operan)
- Riddarholm Church (Riddarholmskyrkan)
- Kungsträdgarden (Kungsan)
- Stockholm National Museum
- Junibacken Children’s Museum
- Stockholm City Hall (Stadshuset)
- Vasa Museum (Vasamuseet)
- Stockholm Concert Hall (Konserthuset)