The cobbled lanes and colonial buildings of The Rocks are the hallmark of the historic district, and the Nurses Walk is one of its oldest laneways. The Nurses Walk takes its name from Sydney’s first colonial era hospital, which was set up in Sydney Cove to treat the arriving convicts – the narrow walkway served as a shortcut to the hospital, winding its way through the streets and passageways of The Rocks.
Today, the atmospheric street is better known for its cluster of vintage shops, independent boutiques and restaurants, and makes a popular inclusion on walking tours of Sydney and The Rocks. It still pays homage to its origins with a plaque devoted to nurse Lucy Osburn on the original walls of the Sydney General Hospital, and information boards detailing its historic importance.
Should I book Nurses Walk tickets in advance?
How much does it cost to visit Nurses Walk 2020?
Things to do near Sydney
- Things to do in New South Wales
- Things to do in Newcastle
- Things to do in Hunter Valley
- Things to do in Port Stephens
- Things to do in Byron Bay
- Things to do in Gold Coast
- Things to do in Melbourne
- Things to do in Choc
- Things to do in Brisbane
- Things to do in Mornington Peninsula
- Things to do in Phillip Island
- Things to do in Ballarat
- Things to do in Noosa & Sunshine Coast
- Things to do in Victoria
- Things to do in Tasmania