Beitou Geothermal Valley (Hell Valley)
The hot springs of Beitou Geothermal Valley (Hell Valley) have the hottest temperatures of any fed by the Datunshan volcano group. An ever-present sulfurous mist permeates the air with billowing clouds of hot steam rising up from hidden cracks in the ground. Day trips from Taipei to Beitou often include the Geothermal Valley, as well as an excursion into Yangmingshan National Park and time to soak in the public hot springs pools. Make a stop at the Beitou Hot Springs Museum to learn more about these geothermal features and their cultural and historic importance to Taipei.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Beitou Geothermal Valley is a must-see for first time visitors.
- Don’t forget your camera, as the valley features many scenic photo ops.
- Pack a bathing suit and towel if you plan to swim in the public hot springs.
How to Get There
To get to the Geothermal Valley, take the Taipei MRT Danshui Line to Xinbeitou Station. The entrance to the valley is just past the Beitou Hot Springs Museum. Several public buses also stop at the MRT station.
When to Get There
The Beitou Geothermal Valley is open from Tuesday to Sunday from 9am to 5pm. Plan to visit on a clear day, and come in the morning or late afternoon in the summer to avoid the midday heat.
Swimming in the Hot Springs The hot springs pools of Beitou Geothermal Valley reach up to 212 degrees Fahrenheit (100 degrees Celsius), rendering them too hot to swim. Locals used to come here to boil eggs in the highly acidic waters. To experience the supposedly healing waters that generate in Hell Valley, visit the Beitou Hot Springs, a public hot springs that maintains pools at a much more comfortable temperature.
- Things to do in Xiamen
- Things to do in Hangzhou
- Things to do in Huangshan
- Things to do in Naha
- Things to do in Shanghai
- Things to do in Suzhou
- Things to do in Shenzhen
- Things to do in Nanjing
- Things to do in Guangzhou
- Things to do in Macau SAR
- Things to do in Okinawa
- Things to do in Eastern China
- Things to do in Nanchang
- Things to do in Southern China
- Things to do in Nagasaki Prefecture
- Beitou Hot Spring Museum
- Beitou Hot Spring
- Guandu Nature Park
- Guandu Temple (Kuantu Temple)
- Taipei National Palace Museum
- Shilin Night Market
- Shung Ye Museum of Formosan Aborigines
- National Revolutionary Martyrs’ Shrine
- Bao'an Temple
- Taipei Confucius Temple
- Tittot Glass Art Museum
- Taipei Fine Arts Museum
- Miramar Entertainment Park
- Taipei Expo Park
- Dihua Street