National Art Center Tokyo (NACT)
The National Art Center offers Japan’s largest exhibition space, with 12 galleries spread across four floors. There’s also an art library with art, architecture, and design catalogs. Visit to admire the sleek architecture of the building, or take in one or more of the many exhibitions.
Art lovers may want to combine a trip to the National Art Center Tokyo with a visit to the other museums in Roppongi. If you’d prefer having a guide along to help interpret, opt for a private Tokyo sightseeing tour, and customize your itinerary to include your interests.
Things to know before you go
- The National Art Center Tokyo is ideal for art lovers and architecture fans.
- Some exhibitions are free while others require an admission fee.
- There are three cafés, a restaurant, a gift shop, and an art library on-site, all of which are free to visit
- The center is wheelchair- and stroller-accessible, and both wheelchairs and strollers are available to borrow, free of charge.
How to get there
The center is located in Roppongi. By train, take the Metro Chiyoda Line to Nogizaka Station (Exit 6) or the Toei Oedo Subway Line to Roppongi Station (Exit 7). There is no parking on-site.
When to get there
The center is open every day except Tuesday, with extended hours on Fridays. The center can get busy on weekends, and when a new exhibition first opens, so opt for a weekday visit for fewer crowds. It’s wise to check the schedule ahead of time for the latest offerings.
Nearby Art Museums
Roppongi is also home to the Mori Art Museum and the Suntory Museum of Art. The Mori Museum, located in the Mori Tower, hosts exhibitions covering contemporary art, design, photography, visual arts, and fashion. The Suntory Museum of Art, located in Tokyo Midtown, has a focus on Japanese art, including paintings, ceramics, lacquerware, glassware, and textiles.
- Things to do in Kanto
- Things to do in Musashino
- Things to do in Kawasaki
- Things to do in Kawagoe
- Things to do in Chiba
- Things to do in Kamakura
- Things to do in Narita
- Things to do in Kyoto
- Things to do in Osaka
- Things to do in Sapporo
- Things to do in Busan
- Things to do in Tokyo Prefecture
- Things to do in Saitama Prefecture
- Things to do in Nagano
- Things to do in Chiba Prefecture
- 21_21 Design Sight
- Tokyo Midtown
- Tokyo City View Observation Deck (Tokyo Sky Deck)
- Mori Art Museum (Mori Bijutsukan)
- Roppongi Kaguwa Japanese Dance Cabaret
- Nezu Museum (Nezu Bijutsukan)
- Meiji Shrine (Meiji Jingu)
- Meiji Jingu Stadium
- Suntory Hall
- Akasaka Palace (State Guest House)
- Tokyo One Piece Tower
- Tokyo Tower
- National Diet Building