A boat cruise along the Garonne river is a popular choice for visitors to Bordeaux, and there are numerous options available. Take a sightseeing cruise past riverside landmarks, such as the Basilica of St. Michael, Louis XV's grand Place de la Bourse, and Quai Richelieu; enjoy lunch or a wine tasting on board; or set sail on an evening dinner cruise, with a view of Bordeaux’s illuminated skyline. In Toulouse, sightseeing cruises along the Garonne often link up with the Canal du Midi, offering views of the Chateau d’Eau, Notre-Dame de la Daurade, and the Pont Neuf.
Walking and Segway tours also take in sights along the Garonne river.
Things to Know Before You Go
River tour options include cruise ships, Viking-style sailboats, jet boats, and canoes.
Bring warm clothing if traveling on an open-air boat—it can get chilly, especially at night.
Many boat cruises are wheelchair accessible, but it’s best to check in advance.
How to Get There
The Garonne river runs for 274 miles (441 kilometers) through southwest France and Northern Catalonia. In Bordeaux, most boat cruises set sail from Quai Richelieu or Cité du Vin. In Toulouse, boats set sail close to the Pont Neuf.
When to Get There
Garonne river cruises in Toulouse run from July to October, while cruises run year-round in Bordeaux. For the most impressive views, opt for a sunset sightseeing cruise or a night cruise.
The Gironde estuary, located where the Garonne and Dordogne rivers meet the Atlantic, is the biggest in Europe and teems with wildlife. The estuary’s nine uninhabited islands and surrounding marshlands are home to a wide variety of migratory birds, including storks, spoonbills, ospreys, and black-winged stilts, while the waters have eels, river lampreys, and wild sturgeon.
- Things to do in Midi-Pyrénées
- Things to do in Montpellier
- Things to do in Bordeaux
- Things to do in Girona
- Things to do in Nîmes
- Things to do in Barcelona
- Things to do in Arles
- Things to do in Avignon
- Things to do in Tarragona
- Things to do in San Sebastian
- Things to do in Zaragoza
- Things to do in Marseille
- Things to do in Aix-en-Provence
- Things to do in Languedoc-Roussillon
- Things to do in Aquitaine
- Basilica of Our Lady of the Daurade (Notre-Dame de la Daurade)
- Pont Neuf
- Place du Capitole
- Museum of Augustins (Musée des Augustins)
- St. Sernin Basilica (Basilique Saint-Sernin)
- Les Abattoirs Museum
- Toulouse Cathedral (Cathedrale St-Etienne)
- Space City (Cite de l'Espace)
- Fronton Wine Region
- Albi Cathedral
- Toulouse-Lautrec Museum (Musée Toulouse-Lautrec)
- Black Mountains (Montagne Noire)
- Cabardès Wine Region