Sisi, or Empress Elizabeth, was the wife of Franz Josef 1 of Austria who she married when she was only 16. She was very beautiful and strictly maintained her 20 inch (50 cm) waistline! The headstrong girl from Munich gained a reputation for rejecting court etiquette and being a bit of free-spirit. But after the death of her daughter Sophie, Sisi became ill herself and began often going south for the warmth, separate from her husband, to write poetry and meet with a string of lovers. When her beloved son Crown-Prince Rudolf died tragically in a murder-suicide pact with his lover, Baroness Mary Vetsera, Sisi was inconsolable. In 1898, aged 60, in Geneva, she herself died, assassinated by a young anarchist, Luigi Lucheni.
Her life was like a soap opera and these days she is a cult figure. The Sisi Museum houses hundreds of her personal belongings as well as a history of her fascinating life.
Tours and tickets to Experience Sisi Museum
Empress Sisi Sightseeing Combo in Vienna Including Schonbrunn Palace, Hofburg Palace, Dinner and Orangery Concert
What are Sisi Museum hours of operation?
Should I book Sisi Museum tickets in advance?
How much does it cost to visit Sisi Museum 2021?
What's the best way to experience Sisi Museum?
- Vienna City Classic Walk
- Empress Sisi Sightseeing Combo in Vienna Including Schonbrunn Palace, Hofburg Palace, Dinner and Orangery Concert
- Sisi Tour in Vienna and Lower Austria
- Daily Hofburg Palace & Sisi Museum Skip-the-line Guided Tour
Things to do near Vienna
- Things to do in Schwechat
- Things to do in Bratislava
- Things to do in Graz
- Things to do in Linz
- Things to do in Cesky Krumlov
- Things to do in Budapest
- Things to do in Hallstatt
- Things to do in Passau
- Things to do in Salzburg
- Things to do in Prague
- Things to do in Zagreb
- Things to do in Pilsen
- Things to do in Lower Austria
- Things to do in Upper Austria
- Things to do in Bohemia