Vienna Museum of Illusions (Museum der Illusionen)
An admission ticket for the museum includes unlimited access to the interactive exhibits, optical illusion rooms, and photo galleries. Highlights include a Vortex Tunnel, a True Mirror, a Rotated Room, an Infinity Room, and a Bottomless Pit, as well as loads of holograms, mind games, stereograms, and puzzles.
Things to Know Before You Go
There is an admission fee for the museum. The rate is reduced for kids aged under 18, and children under 5 are free.
Instructions for the interactive exhibits are provided in German, English, Italian, and Spanish.
The museum has a shop filled with quirky gifts, puzzles, and illusion-themed items.
Visit with at least one or two friends or family members to make the most of the interactive exhibits.
How to Get There
The Vienna Museum of Illusions is located on Wallnerstrasse in central Vienna, just a short stroll from St. Peter’s Church and Michaelerplatz. The closest subway (U-Bahn) station is Herrengasse, a 2-minute walk from the museum.
When to Get There
The museum is open daily, but the small space can get crowded and lines are common at peak times. The quietest time to visit is just after the museum opens on a weekday. The museum is open until 9pm, and fewer children visit in the evening.
Photos at the Museum of Illusions
One of the most popular things to do at the museum is to take photos in the specially designed optical illusion rooms, which make for some mind-bending and Instagram-worthy photos. Pretend you’re flying as you strike a pose in a horizontal room, sit on a gigantic chair, serve your own head on a dinner plate, and shrink your friends as you tower over them!
- Things to do in Schwechat
- Things to do in Bratislava
- Things to do in Graz
- Things to do in Linz
- Things to do in Cesky Krumlov
- Things to do in Budapest
- Things to do in Hallstatt
- Things to do in Passau
- Things to do in Salzburg
- Things to do in Prague
- Things to do in Zagreb
- Things to do in Ljubljana
- Things to do in Lower Austria
- Things to do in Upper Austria
- Things to do in Bohemia
- Hofburg Imperial Palace (Hofburg Wien)
- Historic Center of Vienna
- Schönbrunn Palace (Schloss Schönbrunn)
- Belvedere Palace (Schloss Belvedere)
- Vienna State Opera (Wiener Staatsoper)
- St. Stephen's Cathedral (Stephansdom)
- Kunsthistorisches Museum Wien (Museum of Fine Arts)
- Vienna Museum of Illusions (Museum der Illusionen)