Not to be confused with Freedom Plaza, which is located a few blocks from the White House, Freedom Park is a small but tranquil public space in Arlington Virginia. Founded in 1996 as a dedication to free expression, the park once displayed segments of the Berlin Wall, a soaring memorial to journalism, a bronze cast of Martin Luther King, Jr. and other boundary-pushing artworks. Since its renovation in 2008, the park is now primarily used as a peaceful refuge for workers, locals, and Arlington visitors.
Freedom Park can be seen during various Arlington excursions, and it’s easy to plan an independent visit.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Freedom Park is equipped with benches and trees, which makes it an appealing place to take a breather from the sightseeing.
- Be sure to pause and take in the views: the Potomac River can be admired from its heights.
- The park is equipped with a permanent ping-pong table and putting green.
How to Get There
Freedom Park is located in the Rosslyn neighborhood of Arlington, Virginia. If using public transportation, take the Blue, Orange, or Silver Metrorail lines to Rosslyn Station, which is just steps away. The area is also served by multiple bus routes, taxis, and is equipped with Capital Bikeshare stations.
When to Get There
Freedom Park is open during typical daytime hours, and is at its busiest around lunchtime, when local workers head to the park for a picnic-style lunch. It’s best visited on clear, sunny days, when its flowerbeds and views over the river can be admired.
Arlington Highlights Have a busy day of Arlington sightseeing planned? Whether you plan to explore the Arlington National Cemetery (and pay tribute to President John F. Kennedy and other luminaries laid to rest in its grounds), tour the Pentagon, visit the National 9/11 Pentagon Memorial, or bike along the Mt. Vernon Trail, Freedom Park offers a convenient place to pause and reflect in the fresh air before returning to DC proper.
- Things to do in Philadelphia
- Things to do in Pittsburgh
- Things to do in New York City
- Things to do in Brooklyn
- Things to do in Long Island
- Things to do in Buffalo
- Things to do in Niagara Falls
- Things to do in Niagara Falls & Around
- Things to do in Toronto
- Things to do in Boston
- Things to do in Greenville
- Things to do in Charleston
- Things to do in Pennsylvania
- Things to do in New York
- Things to do in Massachusetts