- Explore Crete's rugged interior during a full-day 4x4 cultural tour
- Visit small mountain villages and sample local products like fresh-made cheese
- Admire the dramatic scenery of mountain passes and the turquoise-blue of the island coast
- Enjoy an included 3-course lunch of local Crete specialties accompanied by unlimited wine
- Shop for traditional handicrafts in the Lassinthos Eco Park
- Great way to get off the typical tourist track in Crete
Departure & Return
What To Expect
Start at the Aposelemis basin reservoir, where you can explore an ancient Roman aqueduct, then head into the foothills of the Afendi Mountains. Visit the village of Kastamonitsa, where you can enjoy a Cretan-style breakfast (own cost) accompanied by the local liquor, Raki. After breakfast, continue off road higher into the mountains, stopping at a shepard’s “mitato,” a typical lodge or inn, where you can sample traditional cheese.
Drive deeper into the mountains and pause a local overlook, offering dramatic views of the Lassithi Plateau and Crete’s north coast. Proceed from the overlook to Diction Cave, reported to be the birthplace of Zeus in classic mythology (entry fee at own expense). When you finish in the cave, take a break for lunch, which features three courses of local Crete specialties (vegetarian option available). You can also enjoy unlimited wine during your meal.
After lunch, continue to the Lassinthos Eco Park, an area where you can browse for traditional handicrafts and get a taste for daily life in the island’s small farming villages. Make a brief stop in Seli for photos before heading to the village of Krassi, which is known for its ancient tree and natural spring. Begin heading back down toward the coast, passing through groves of olive trees as you descend out of the mountains. Your tour concludes back at your hotel.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Wheelchair accessible
- Infant rates only apply provided the child do not occupy a seat
- Service animals allowed
- Infants must sit on laps
- Transportation is wheelchair accessible
- Surfaces are wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 8 travelers
- OPERATED BY Safari Club SA
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms