- Half-day desert castles tour of Jordan from Amman with a private driver
- Travel deep into the sweeping desert landscapes of eastern Jordan
- Hear about the Umayyad dynasty, Roman history and Lawrence of Arabia
- Visit UNESCO-listed Qusayr Amra as well as Qasr Kharana and Qasr al-Azraq
- Enjoy a flexible itinerary and tailor the experience to your preferences
Departure & Return
Departure PointTraveler pickup is offered
What To Expect
Drive with your friendly informative driver to experience the fascinating desert castles. The region is speckled with 7th and 8th-century castles — many within a 15-minute drive of each other — that were originally built by the caliphs of the Umayyad dynasty as rural retreats and hunting lodges.
Hear tales about this powerful dynasty, the first Muslim rulers of the Arab kingdom, including fascinating snippets about their extravagance and debauchery.
As you travel, feel free to tell your driver if there’s a castle you want to see more of or another castle you’d like to visit, at your own expense. Your tour is private, so the itinerary can be tailored to suit your interests.
After about 1 hour on the road, pull up at UNESCO-listed Qusayr Amra, one of east Jordan’s most famous castles. Once a hunting palace of the Umayyads, this splendidly restored edifice is graced with 8th-century frescoes showing decadent scenes of nude women, wine and parties.
When you feel peckish, get tips from your driver as to local restaurants, and take a break for lunch (own expense), before traveling onward to Qasr Kharana, an imperious 2-level fortress standing in a huge plain.
Thought to have been built on Roman foundations, this evocative castle exudes intrigue and displays a rich array of Mesopotamian, Arabic and Greek architectural influences.
Finally, head for Qasr al-Azraq, originally an Umayyad hunting retreat and once used as a headquarters by TE Lawrence, the 20th-century British soldier and Arab Revolt leader perhaps more famously known as ‘Lawrence of Arabia.’
Wander around the sun-burnished courtyards, towers and mosque and learn how Lawrence based his operations here during 1917 to 1918.
After exploring here, relax on your ride back to Amman where your experience finishes with a hotel drop-off.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Confirmation will be received at the time of booking.
- Airport Pick-up and Drop-off by request.
- Order of visits may change for day tours with more than one visit as long as all sites completed.
- Contact your local operator (phone number, emergency mobile number, or email address) a day before to reconfirm pick-up arrangements provided in your voucher.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- For Jordan Pass holders that purchased tour activity with entrance fees, please inform us to reimburse the entrance fees in destination.
- Clients are advised to bring hats, sun screen, and comfortable walking shoes.
- Tour activity is provided in English. For other languages (Spanish, Portuguese, French, and German) by request.
- Mobile SIM cards including Wi-Fi are available with assistance of our team upon request and can be subject to a small additional charge approximately: 20 USD. (Prices subject to change by the communication company).
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level.
- Most local tourist restaurants in Jordan do not serve alcohol, if you do not want a dry restaurant please contact us.
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- OPERATED BY Zaid Tours and Travel
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff