- Private shore excursion from Marseille to Avignon
- Travel away from the Mediterranean through the beautiful Provencal countryside
- Take a guided walking tour of Avignon's UNESCO World Heritage-listed historic center
- Discover why Avignon is known as the City of Popes
- Visit the Pont Saint-Bénezet, Cathedral Notre-Dame des Doms and the Popes’ Palace
- Covered by Viator's worry-free policy: guaranteed on-time return to your ship
Departure & Return
Departure PointTraveler pickup is offered
What To Expect
Though Avignon’s name dates back to the sixth century BC – and its inhabited history even longer! – the city is most widely known as the seat of papacy in the 14th and 15th centuries. Escaping turmoil in Rome, Pope Clement V took up residence in Avignon and incited a flood of money to adorn the ‘City of Popes’ in suitable opulence.
Your walking tour starts with a visit to the Avignon’s UNESCO-listed historic center. Visit the fabled Pont Saint-Bénézet, a lovely bridge built more than 900 years ago, and the restored Notre-Dame des Doms Cathedral. As you take in the town’s medieval fortifications, enjoy colorful tales and anecdotes from your knowledgable guide.
From there, enjoy some free time to wander the lively town. Stroll through the Rocher des Doms, a lovely English-style garden that perches over the Rhone River, and the many picturesque public squares. If you choose, tour the interior of the Popes’ Palace (own expense), the world’s largest Gothic palace and a UNESCO-listed site. See the 25 rooms open to the public, including fresco-adorned chapels, the papal apartments and grand ceremonial rooms.
Following your 3-hour stint through Avignon, relax for the short ride back to your cruise terminal in Marseille. Your shore excursion ends in mid-afternoon or evening depending on departure time.
Worry-free Shore Excursion:We will ensure your timely return to the Marseille port for this activity. In the rare event your ship has departed, we will arrange for transportation to the next port-of-call. If your ship is delayed and you are unable to attend this activity, your money will be refunded. See our terms and conditions for full details.
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- If your ship has to leave at 4pm or earlier the departure time of the tour might need to be amended. You will be emailed by the local supplier to inform you of any changes if necessary
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Infant seats available
- Most travelers can participate
- Please wait at the exit of the ship/cruise terminal, do not start to walk on the port area.
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- OPERATED BY Provence Tours
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
See all safety measures taken by Marseille Shore Excursion: Private Tour of Avignon.