- Full-day, small-group tour by minivan to Montserrat and a winery
- Personalized small group and commentary
- Free time to explore Montserrat Monastery and its scenic parklands
- Tour of a winery's vast cellars and wine tasting
Departure & Return
What To Expect
Leave Barcelona at 8:30am for a visit to Montserrat, a monastery that sits amongst the craggy mountains just outside of town. See the complex's famous Royal Basilica, which contains the 12th-century statue of the Black Virgin, a venerated icon. If you visit during the week, you'll also get to hear the angelic singing of La Escolania de Montserrat, one of the oldest children's choirs in Europe. During your visit you can also stop by the Museum of Monserrat to explore the site's history, or take a ride to the rack railway or cable car for sublime mountain views.
During the second half of your day you'll head to Catalonia's Penedes region to learn about the area's vast wine industry. Stop by a winery, where you'll have a chance to view the vast wine cellars and taste some of the wineries' top-notch products.
Your tour ends back in Barcelona at around 7pm.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- During this tour, you will have the chance to visit the famous 12th-century statue of the Black Virgin, and, on weekdays, La Escolania de Montserrat (Boy's Choir). Since the Covid Pandemic, the Monastery has changed the way you can visit the statue and hear the choir sing. It is now compulsory to make a reservation. There are two ways to make a reservation: You can either make the reservation yourself, or we can make the reservation for you. However, if we make the reservation on your behalf, the monastery will charge us 8 Euros per person, as they consider it an agency booking and therefore a group booking. We find this as crazy as you must do, and we have tried, unsuccessfully, everything possible to allow us to make a free booking on your behalf. To avoid paying this fee, we invite you to make the booking yourself as an individual. For the Black Madonna, you can make a reservation for free at Please make your reservation between 11am and 1pm. They will send your tickets to your email directly. For the Boy's Choir, please make the booking at The time is fixed. However, you might find that spaces are limited or even unavailable. Please don't worry, we will always make a reservation for you, just in case you find it too much trouble to book it yourself, or you were unable to book it. If you choose to take advantage of the booking made from the office we will have to pass on the booking fee to you, as we have to pay as an agency. We are sincerely sorry for any inconvenience this is causing you.
- There will be time off the bus at your leisure, so please bring suitable clothing, footwear, and sun protection. Remember that temperatures at high altitudes will be much lower than in the city, so although it may be warm in Barcelona, please remember that it will be much cooler in the mountains.
- On certain weekends and during July and August it will not be possible to hear the boys choir sing.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Near public transportation
- Infant seats available
- This tour is in English only.
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 16 travelers
- OPERATED BY Explore Catalunya
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- "No snacks/lunch was provided, which I knew, but I was a bit surprised we weren't even given water." See review
- "Taking the train from the actual monastery to the very top of the city where the old monks of ancient times once went to die is breath-taking!" See review
- "We had an extremely good guide, who gave some very interesting and all the necessary information without overloading us.Go on this trip!" See review