- Explore the history of East Berlin's communist era during a guided walking tour
- Visit Cold War-era like the 'Palace of Tears' and the 'Ghost stations'
- Hear about daring escape attempts from East Berlin and the notorious Stasi secret police
- Great introduction to the Cold War history of Berlin
Departure & Return
Your East Berlin Walking Tour meets in front of the Starbucks at the Brandenburg Gate (S/U-Bahn Brandenburger Tor). Look for the SANDEMANs NEW Europe team with a red t-shirt and red umbrella..
What To Expect
Follow the path of the iconic Berlin Wall which once split the now-reunited German capital in half, learning about the people, places, and secrets that fueled the battle between East and West during the period following World War II. Over the course of your visit, get a look at key East Berlin sites from the Soviet period including the one-time embassies of the major Cold War powers, key Berlin Wall crossing spots like the “Palace of Tears,” and the “Death Strip” that once separated the two divided cities.
As you explore, your guide also shares stories about the key events and moments of Cold War Berlin. Learn about the Stasi, East Germany’s secret police, hear about dramatic escape stories, and discover the meaning behind the concept of “ostalgie” in modern-day Berlin.
For a more detailed run-down of key trip highlights, please review the itinerary details below.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Wheelchair accessible
- Children under the age of 13 may join free, however, please note that some content may not be suitable for younger guests
- Stroller accessible
- Near public transportation
- Transportation is wheelchair accessible
- Surfaces are wheelchair accessible
- The independent guides who employ us to market their tours have your best interests in mind; while the tour usually includes the sites & stories mentioned and lasts about 3.5 hours, your tour may vary depending on what your guide thinks is best for your group
- You will need to purchase an AB day transport ticket for this tour
- A moderate amount of walking is involved, comfortable shoes are recommended
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 40 travelers
- OPERATED BY SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Berlin
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience