- Take a guided walking tour of Dresden and learn about the city’s fascinating history
- See top Dresden attractions, such as the Semperoper, the Frauenkirche and the Zwinger palace
- Enjoy free time to explore the city at your leisure
- Transport by comfortable, modern, air-conditioned coach
Departure & Return
Meeting point: outside FRIEDRICHSTRASSE TRAIN STATION, on the square beside the 'Traenenpalast' (Palace of Tears), Reichstagufer 17, 10117 Berlin.
Return DetailsReturns to original departure point
What To Expect
Start your day in the morning by meeting your guide at Berlin’s Zoologischer Garten underground or S-Bahn station, continuing by comfortable coach bus on the 2-hour drive south to Dresden. This architectural gem of a city, often referred to as the “Jewel Box” because of its wealth of rococo and baroque buildings, offers a range of beautiful sights to explore.
Follow your guide on a walking tour of Dresden’s center, learning about its history between 1806 and 1918, when it served as a key hub of culture for the reigning Saxon Kings. You’ll hear stories about the calamitous events of World War II, including the notorious 1945 bombing which leveled Dresden’s city center. Following a period of reconstruction and the reunification of Germany in 1990, Dresden once again returned to a position of prominence in German cultural life, today boasting more than 50 art galleries, 40 museums and 30 theaters. This includes the “Green Vault,” a unique museum boasting a collection of former royal treasure.
Head next to the Semperoper, a neo-renaissance opera house where iconic German composer Richard Wagner premiered several of his works. Adjacent to the opera house is the Zwinger palace, a baroque palace that once hosted celebrations for the royal family. Today, the building is home to a wealth of paintings and porcelain, including Raphael’s Sistine Madonna. Also nearby is the recently reconstructed Frauenkirche, a structure that was ruined in 1945 and served as a war memorial for the East German GDR government until it was rebuilt in 2005.
Around noon you’ll be given free time to wander the city independently. For a true local experience, enjoy lunch at a Kneipe (pub) along the Weisse Gasse, the pedestrian street that cuts through Dresden’s Old Town. Feel free to then check out any of the sights from your walking tour in more detail, wander down to the Elbe River to stroll the banks, relax in one of Dresden’s beautiful parks or down an icy-cold beer at the Biergarten (beer garden) with a view of the Dresden skyline.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 8 hours of travel. In this case confirmation will be received as soon as possible, subject to availability
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
- OPERATED BY Insider Tour Berlin
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff