- Half-day combo shore excursion from Puntarenas
- Stand at the summit of active Poas Volcano
- See the distinctive turquoise lake that fills the volcano's main crater
- See rescued jaguars, monkeys, birds, and amphibians at La Paz Waterfall Gardens eco-reserve
- Admire a beautiful tropical waterfall
- Great way to experience Costa Rica's natural highlights during a day at port
- Free port pickup and drop-off included
Departure & Return
Departure PointTraveler pickup is offered
- Puntarenas, Costa Rica, Costanera Sur 128, Provincia de Puntarenas, Quepos, Costa Rica
What To Expect
From the summit, which stretches an impressive 8,885 feet (2,708 meters) above sea level, admire sweeping panoramic valley views and gaze down into the main crater filled with a bright blue, acidic lake and steaming fumaroles. Although the volcano has erupted dozens of times, it has not seen a period of major activity with ash clouds since the 1950s, so geologic experts consider it safe to visit. Poas Volcano National Park is also home to many scenic hiking trails and exceptional biodiversity.
After descending from the volcano, journey next to the tropical habitats of La Paz Waterfall Gardens, a private eco-reserve and animal sanctuary that’s home to more than 100 different species. Designed to educate visitors about Costa Rica’s natural bounty and preserve the surrounding ecosystem, La Paz features a network of walking paths that wind through wildlife exhibits like hummingbird and butterfly gardens, a serpentarium, and an aviary. You can also observe rehabilitated mammalian residents like spider monkeys, jaguars, and pumas.
Soak up the lush scenery and see the tropical waterfall that gives the reserve its name before hopping back in the van for the return drive to Puntarenas, where the 5-hour shore excursion concludes at your waiting cruise ship.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 4 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- At time of booking, cruise ship passengers must provide the following information at time of booking: ship name, docking time, disembarkation time and re-boarding time
- A minimum of two people per booking is required
- To buy volcano tickets we need passport details of passengers (complete name, number and country).
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- OPERATED BY Top Private Tours
If you cancel at least 4 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is no cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 3 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms