- Half-day river boat shore excursion from Puntarenas
- Cruise along the Tárcoles River on the border of Carara National Park
- Explore the jungles and mangrove forests of the river basin
- Spot native wildlife like crocodiles and scarlet macaws
- Boat tour led by a naturalist guide
- Great way to learn about Costa Rica's amazing biodiversity
- Free port pickup and drop-off included
Departure & Return
Departure PointTraveler pickup is offered
- Puntarenas, Costa Rica, Costanera Sur 128, Provincia de Puntarenas, Quepos, Costa Rica
What To Expect
Climb aboard a river boat with a naturalist guide, who will introduce you to the river’s distinctive ecosystems and wild residents. Explore the verdant basin at the mouth of the river, and then venture further up to a mature mangrove forest, characterized by a complex root system that grows straight out of the water.
Along the way, catch sight of native Costa Rican wildlife including Jesus Christ lizards and a famous community of American crocodiles that are often seen along the river banks. The area is also home to the country's largest population of scarlet macaws and more than 120 species of other birds. Upstream, you’ll also visit the transitional habitat of a native botanic garden to learn about the park’s exceptional diversity of plant life.
After returning to solid ground, relax on the return drive to the port, where the 5-hour tour concludes back at your waiting cruise ship.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 4 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- At time of booking, Cruise ship passengers must provide the following information at time of booking: ship name, docking time, disembarkation time and re-boarding time
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- OPERATED BY Top Private Tours
If you cancel at least 4 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is no cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 3 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms