Don’t worry—here are some similar options
- Private cultural tour of Mahabalipuram and Dakshinachitra from Chennai
- See traditional customs first-hand at the preserved Dravidian village of Dakshinachitra
- Browse local workshops and see artisans crafting pottery, weaving silk and making baskets
- Enjoy an authentic Indian lunch
- Visit UNESCO World Heritage-listed Mahabalipuram to explore its rock-cut cave temples and structures
- Transport by private air-conditioned vehicle and hotel pickup and drop-off included
Departure & Return
Please arrive 5 minutes before your selected start time for pickup. Your operator can coordinate exact time and location.
What To Expect
Wander through traditional Indian homes, visit the open-air museum and learn about local crafts and customs of a visit to one of the workshops. Kids will enjoy the traditional theater performances, and watching artisans at work creating baskets, pottery, weaving silk and crafting handmade puppets.
Travel in comfort 14.5 miles (23.3 km) to what is now called Mamallapuram. The UNESCO World Heritage-listed city is home to rock-cut statues that date back as far as the 7th century. Recognized as some of the oldest examples of Dravidian architecture, these well-preserved artifacts were built in honor of Hindu gods.
Follow your guide into several unique cave temples where you will find sculpted reliefs of Arjuna Dhabas, Krishna Butterball and Five Rathas. Gain a deeper understanding of Buddhist influence and the historical significance of these sites.
Keep hunger at bay with a traditional Indian lunch between stops and travel with your guide back to your Chennai hotel at the end of your full-day sightseeing tour.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- A moderate amount of walking is involved; comfortable walking shoes are recommended
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- OPERATED BY Apollo Voyages
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience